Fault in California car accidents is how the courts determine which driver’s insurance covers medical bills and other expenses. Here are some of the mistakes drivers make that can lead to serious car accidents that are completely their fault.
- Driving under the influence – Whether it is alcohol, drugs, or even some forms of prescription medication, it is always illegal to be under the influence while driving. This is particularly important to remember for drivers who were happy to see marijuana legalized in the state. Remember: it is still illegal to use marijuana while driving, to have marijuana open and accessible in the vehicle, or to be under the influence of this drug while driving.
- Speeding – This the leading cause of car accidents, including fatal accidents. Always obey the posted speed limit, especially in road construction areas.
- Distracted driving – While smartphones are the number one distraction in our technological era, there are many other ways to be distracted while driving. Everything from lighting up a cigarette to putting the finishing touches on makeup can be what takes a driver’s eyes off the road long enough for an accident to occur.
Car Accident Injury Attorneys in Southern California
If you have been injured in a car accident, the personal injury attorneys at Petrov Law Firm can help. Insurance companies always want to settle for the lowest amount possible to protect their profits, so you want an experienced lawyer in your corner to help maximize your settlement. Before you agree to anything, call 619-344-0360 to learn how we can help.Read More
If you have children, it is important to teach them safety around dogs, even if your family has a docile pet in the home. According to Canine Journal, Americans are twice as likely to be killed by a bee as a dog, and 20 times more likely to be killed by a gun, but that doesn’t mean you should be unprepared. Here are some facts about dog bites that can help you teach your children.
- In 25% of fatal dog attacks, the dog is chained up. That makes it vital to instruct your children not to approach chained dogs. The chain is there for a reason.
- While pit bulls have a terrible reputation as being the most dangerous breed, there are other dog breeds that are known to bite. Another common breed is German shepherds, which can be very protective.
- Most dogs that bite have not been neutered or spayed, so always have the family pet fixed to reduce the risks.
- Insurance companies paid out over half a billion dollars in claims due to dog bites in 2017 alone, so if you suffer an injury from someone else’s dog, you may be able to seek compensation.
If You or a Family Member Has Been Injured in a Dog Attack
If you or a loved one have been injured by a dog, you need the help of the personal injury attorneys at Petrov Law Firm. Medical bills can really add up after a dog bite, and the owner’s insurance may compensate you depending on the circumstances. To see if you should pursue a settlement, contact us today at 619-344-0360.Read More
You cannot just assume that the right people will benefit from your assets when you pass on. Estate planning is required in order to ensure that your wishes are carried out. Unfortunately, many people make the mistake of thinking they can do nothing and that their mate and children will automatically get everything. Here’s the issue with that mentality:
The traditional family structure is becoming less common in the US.
If you and your mate have only ever been married to each other and all of your kids are naturally born to the two of you, you may actually be correct in thinking that your loved ones will inherit everything. But how many families are like that?
If you are raising grandkids, have children from multiple spouses, have adopted children, or have been married more than once, you may have no idea what the line of succession will be for your family. On top of that, family members may have different ideas as to how to care for you medically if you become incapacitated later in life. There can also be fights over funeral arrangements.
Lovingly Caring for the Future of Your Family
The loving way to care for the future of your family is to have an estate plan in place. Petrov Law Firm is your source for estate planning attorneys in southern California. Get in touch with our San Diego and Chula Vista lawyers today by calling 619-344-0360. We can help you plan for your future.Read More
The Internet is filled with generic wills that you can download and just add your information to. However, if you want your estate plan to be personalized, you may require the assistance of an estate planning attorney. Here are a few tips for customizing your estate plan, so that your heirs gain the most benefit.
- Leave something to charity – What is really important to you? By leaving some of your estate to charity, you can show future generations the causes that meant the most to you. Plus, you have the peace of mind of knowing that some of your estate is going to a good cause that can really create a legacy for your family.
- Pass on heirlooms – Rather than just combining all of your physical possessions to leave to a relative in one lump sum, determine some of the things that have the most sentimental value to you and turn them into family heirlooms.
- Create a narrative – By using everything from letters to video recordings, you can tell your story to the next generation. Passing on money is one thing but passing on your knowledge and experience can help the next generation to use the things that you have amassed in a wise manner.
Estate Planning Attorneys in San Diego
To help you customize an estate plan that will meet your needs and benefit future generations, contact Petrov Law Firm today. Our estate planning lawyers can help you to understand how federal and California laws affect your planning efforts. Get started today by calling 619-344-0360.Read More
When someone is injured, you may wonder who should be held responsible for the medical bills and other losses the injured person may have experienced. Let’s see how this question applies to some of the more common ways in which individuals are injured in Southern California.
- Car Accidents – Automotive accident injuries are extremely common and often lead to major medical expenses. However, California is a fault state, so liability is determined by the percent of fault the various parties share.
- Slip and Fall Injuries – Whether you slip on wet tile or trip over a run in the carpet, what needs to be determined is whether the property owner caused the issue, knew about the issue, and had enough time to respond to the issue.
- Dog Attacks – Dog bites are probably more common than you think. Children are the most likely to be bitten, so it is vital to monitor the interactions between children and animals. If a dog bite occurs, the owner may be culpable depending on the circumstances.
Personal Injury Lawyers in Southern California
If you have been injured in any of the ways mentioned in this article, the personal injury lawyers at Petrov Law Firm can help. We have experience in helping the victims of car accidents, slip and fall accidents, and dog bites receive a proper settlement. To learn more, schedule a consultation with our conveniently located San Diego and Chula Vista offices today. Just call 619-344-0360 to get started.Read More
Slip and fall accidents happen all the time, but not every case leads to a settlement. If you want to seek compensation for your losses, including medical bills, then there are a few things that you have to be able to prove. Here are the three proofs you need to ensure the property owner will have to pay out.
- The owner or someone in his or her employ created the dangerous condition that led to the fall. This is the first requirement because you can’t hold the owner responsible for something that was your fault. If you spill a soda and then slip on the ice, you can’t hold someone else accountable for that.
- The owner or someone in his or her employ was aware the situation existed and didn’t do anything to correct it. Now let’s take things one step further. Let’s say someone else spills a drink right in front of you and you slip on it. That’s still not the owner’s fault. There was no time to discover the danger and correct it. However, if an employee saw the spill, went to get a mop, got distracted, and just left it there for a few minutes, now there was clearly time for someone to do something about it.
- The owner or someone is his or her in employ should have known about the dangers. What if there was uneven pavement on the front walkway of a building? It could have been there for years. There is no way the owner can say that he or she didn’t know about the problem, even if they only come to the property occasionally.
Getting Justice When You Suffer a Slip and Fall Injury in Southern California
Even if the company’s liability insurance is going to cover the claim, they will still want to get away with settling for as little as possible. Before you sign anything, call the personal injury attorneys at Petrov Law Firm in San Diego. We can help you to maximize your settlement. Schedule a consultation by calling 619-344-0360 today.Read More
In our years of estate planning expertise, we’ve just about seen it all. This allows us to help our clients avoid the common pitfalls that affect many estate plans. Here are a few things to watch out for.
- Not Doing It – No one wants to think about his or her own mortality, but you are only hurting your loved ones by not having a plan in place. You don’t have to wait until you are a senior citizen to plan ahead for your future. And should some tragedy cut your life short, having an estate plan in place can make things a lot easier on the people you care about most.
- Neglecting Medical Planning – Estate planning is not all about assets. You also want to make advanced medical decisions. This gives you the opportunity to appoint an agent to champion your medical decisions or to make decisions for you should you become incapacitated for a time.
- Never Reviewing Your Plan – Our lives can change in an instant. A birth, a marriage, an adoption, a divorce, a financial reversal – these are all things that can have a profound effect on an estate plan. Be sure to review your plan every year to make sure it still accurately reflects your wishes and review it immediately when you experience a major life event like those listed above.
Plan for Your Future the Right Way
Petrov Law Firm offers the experienced California estate planning attorneys that you need in order to plan ahead for your future and protect your assets and rights. To learn more, contact us for a consultation at 619-344-0360 today.Read More
Estate planning is about more than leaving money to your heirs. This is an opportunity to create or pass on a real family legacy. Here are a few ways to ensure that your name will live on long after you are gone.
- Trusts – You can create trusts that are dispensed when certain conditions are met. For example, you can create an education trust so that your grand kids can attend the university of their choice. You can even create trusts that provide incentives to reach goals, such as a trust that becomes available to your niece when she opens the new business she has been talking about venturing into. Knowing that the capital is there to get the business off the ground may be just what she needs to decide to give it a try.
- Letters and Old Photographs – While many modern personal documents and photos all exist in the cloud and are easy to pass on, your family may still have a treasure trove of old letters and printed photos. From pictures of your parents and grandparents to love letters that passed between relatives back in the 19th century, you can leave a wealth of family history to the next generation.
- Video and Audio Files – Your knowledge and experience can prove beneficial to future generations. But what if you are worried that the modern generation won’t care about your handwritten or typed letters? Why not try creating digital recordings of your advice or, better yet, video recordings. These can be preserved for years to come, allowing generations of the family to benefit and to see your face and hear your voice even if they never got to meet you in person.
Let Us Help You Establish Your Family Legacy
At Petrov Law Firm, we specialize in estate planning and can help you to leave behind a legacy for future generations. To learn more, contact us today at 619-344-0360. We look forward to helping you ensure that your future is well taken care of.Read More
No one wants to be in a car accident, and that is why Petrov Law Firm offers safe driving advice. Here are a few tips for driving when road conditions are the most dangerous.
- Rain – Sometimes we forget that rain can make the roadways very slick. Be sure to leave extra space between you and other drivers, especially at highway speeds, and slow down more than usual when taking corners so you don’t hydroplane.
- Dark – Driving at night can make it difficult to see road hazards as well as pedestrians who may not be properly dressed for a nighttime walk. Keep your headlights in good shape and be sure to switch from hi-beams to low-beams for oncoming drivers.
- Construction – Speeding in a construction area could lead to having the blood of a construction worker on your hands. Always follow posted instructions when driving in a construction area. Even if no accident occurs, remember that penalties for breaking the speed limit are much greater in construction areas.
- Potholes – A pothole can destroy your tire. If you can avoid a pothole safely, do so. If not, it is best to strike the hole straight on and as slow as possible. The side walls of your tires are weaker, so a last-minute turn of the wheel could result in a blowout. If a warning light comes on after going through a pothole or if you feel a wobble, pull over immediately to check your tires.
California Car Accident Injury Lawyers
If you do find yourself needing a California car accident injury attorney, contact the Petrov Law Firm at 619-344-0360. We can help you to maximize your settlement and get the compensation that you deserve.Read More
Do you ride your bike to commute to work in San Diego, or even just as a hobby? If so, you want to be as safe as possible. While drivers are supposed to share the road with bicycles, people are more distracted than ever, and that can lead to some serious injuries. Here are a few ways to protect yourself on the road.
- Watch for drivers making right turns. Since bike lanes are usually on the right and cyclists tend to stick toward this side of the road anyway, you are at greatest risk when a driver is making a right-hand If he or she doesn’t see you, they may try to turn with you right alongside them.
- Exiting the Bike Lane. When the bike lane ends or when you need to leave the bike lane to make a turn, use extra caution. It is legal for you to leave the bike lane when approaching a place that drivers can turn right. Moving into the vehicle lane will alert drivers to your presence and protect you from the danger mentioned in point one.
- When a Stoplight Turns Green. Don’t assume that driver next to you sees you or that they are using a turn signal properly. Always assume that the driver is going to punch it and make a right-hand turn in front of you when the light turns green. Better safe than sorry.
If You Have Been Injured in Bicycle Accident in California
If you are a cyclist who has been injured by a driver in California, seek the help of the experienced personal injury lawyers at Petrov Law Firm. We can help you get started on your case today. All you need to do is call 619-344-0360 to schedule an appointment.Read More