There is nothing more tragic than losing a loved one prematurely due to someone else’s negligence. We’re going to list 6 broad categories of circumstances that constitute wrongful death. If your family has faced one of these situations, you need to find a compassionate lawyer to help you through this difficult time.
- Medical malpractice – Doctors and their staff need to perform the right medical procedures and provide the proper doses of medication to avoid culpability in a patient’s death.
- Auto accidents – Whether the other driver was under the influence of something, driving recklessly, or just plain negligent in driving practices or in maintaining the vehicle, it may qualify as wrongful
- Transportation accidents – Cars are not the only place where a wrongful death can occur. The same holds true when a person travels via plane, train, or bus.
- Product defects – Whether there is something wrong with the product itself or the instructions on how to use it safely, this may qualify as wrongful
- Failure to properly train employees – If an employee is killed on the job because he or she received insufficient safety training regarding a foreseeable danger, the incident may have been preventable.
- Unsafe roadways – Road hazards happen, but what if the hazard is fixable and has been in place for weeks or even months with no warning to drivers. This may qualify as a wrongful death case as well.
Legal Assistance When You Need It Most
If your family is dealing with a tragedy due to one of the circumstances noted above, contact Petrov Law Firm. We provide the compassionate legal assistance that families in Southern California need when calamity strikes. Call 619-344-0360 to speak to someone about your circumstances today.Read More
DIY has become a buzzword with fewer and fewer people wanting to pay someone else to do something that they think they can handle themselves. That’s great when it comes to most things. However, planning for your future and for the benefit of your heirs is one of the times that you don’t want to take chances. Here are three reasons to pass on using a DIY will for your estate plan.
- Interpretation Disputes – You may be an eloquent person, but that doesn’t mean your every word will be interpreted correctly or the same way by two different people. If there is a dispute over what something you say in your will means, it can tie your estate up in probate court for years and result in a great deal of your assets going to the court system rather than to your beneficiaries. That isn’t what you’ve worked so hard for all your life.
- Mistakes – Even if you get a little online legal assistance from a site that helps you put together a will, you don’t get the personal attention that you would from a local estate planning lawyer who is specifically experienced with the laws in your state. Mistakes in wording or even in omitting something (like failure to name a healthcare agent) can lead to major issues.
- Peace of Mind – You shouldn’t have to wonder if your will is going to be good enough. Hiring an estate planning attorney can provide you with peace of mind. You will know that all of your bases are covered and that your family’s future is secure.
Hire the Right California Estate Planning Attorneys
If you are planning for the future in the state of California, Petrov Law Firm has the estate planning lawyers you want on your team. Our compassion and experience will make the process as simple as possible and provide you with the peace of mind you want. To get started, call us today at 619-344-0360.Read More
Establishing a trust is a great way to eliminate all of the problems that come along with probate. Your family won’t have to worry about the court fees or deal with an executor. This can prevent long delays in receiving the inheritance. However, it is still important to choose the right successor trustee in order to ensure that your estate is in good hands until it gets to your beneficiaries. Here are a few ways to keep your successor trustee from making the most common mistakes.
- Hire an Accountant – Unless your trustee is particularly good with numbers and understands accounting, this is the best way to ensure that there are no errors in the record keeping. Plus, having two people to check each other’s numbers keeps everyone honest.
- Outline Instructions Clearly – Sometimes a trustee can get confused about the role that he or she plays. To eliminate confusion, make sure your estate planning documents outline how you want your trustee to act, including how the assets are preserved until they reach your beneficiaries.
- Provide Adequate Compensation – Your trustee knows how much has been set aside for your beneficiaries. The trustee is doing all of the work. So while you may leave a relatively small percent of your estate to compensate the trustee, it should be enough to ensure he or she doesn’t feel cheated or isn’t moved to maneuver for a little additional compensation from your family.
- Be Objective – Sentimentality cannot guide your choice of a successor trustee. It has to be the person who is best suited for the job. Otherwise, problems are likely to come about.
Assistance in Developing a Trust and Other Estate Planning in California
The estate planning attorneys at Petrov Law Firm are experienced in helping California residents to plan properly for the future. To learn more, contact us today at 619-344-0360.Read More
As of the start of the new year, Californian’s over the age of 21 can use marijuana legally, regardless of whether they have a medical prescription for it or not. This has caused some to think that there is nothing wrong with using marijuana at any time they chose. Unfortunately, this has led some to drive under the influence. But changes to the marijuana laws have not affected DUI laws. What guidelines apply?
- It is not legal to smoke marijuana in a vehicle
- Having an open container of marijuana in a vehicle is illegal
- Driving under the influence of marijuana is just as illegal as driving under the influence of alcohol (and the same penalties apply)
Getting caught driving under the influence of marijuana can also affect a person’s insurance coverage. If a driver causes damages or injuries while driving high, it may actually negate the coverage, which can cause additional problems for those who have been injured.
San Diego Personal Injury Attorneys
If you have been injured in a car accident in California, especially if the other driver was under the influence, you need to get the help of an experienced personal injury attorney. Petrov Law Firm is practiced in helping car accident injury victims to receive fair settlements. If you need help in getting an insurance company to cover your losses, including pain and suffering, give us a call today at 619-344-0360. We’re the San Diego personal injury attorneys that local residents trust.Read More
Driving while drowsy is a common issue in the United States, especially when it comes to truckers. If you have ever fallen asleep at the wheel or felt like you may do so, here are some statistics that should convince you to take a nap before getting on the road.
Did you know that more than 1 million accidents that occur on US roads each year are directly related to falling asleep at the wheel? Then you have to add to that figure the number of accidents that are related to being drowsy which causes a person no longer to be alert. This can decrease response times in emergency driving situations and lead to an accident occurring when a person would normally have been able to stop, swerve, or perform other evasive maneuvers.
According to the CDC driving drowsy can result in the following three issues for drivers:
- Decreases the ability to make good decisions (i.e., “Should I pull out in front of that car?”)
- Decreases reaction times
- Inhibits ability to pay attention (as if drivers didn’t already have enough distractions)
Hopefully, this is enough to convince you to pull over and take a nap, but what about other drivers on the road?
If You Have Been Injured by a Drowsy Driver in California
If you have been injured in a car accident due to a driver being drowsy or even falling asleep at the wheel, contact Petrov Law Firm right away at 619-344-0360. Our personal injury lawyers specialize in car and truck accidents, and we can help you to receive the compensation you deserve.Read More
Getting some exercise and walking around sunny Southern California is a great way to stay healthy, run errands, and even get to work in the morning. However, there are dangers associated with going for a walk around your neighborhood or in San Diego. Whether it is dangers from unsafe or distracted drivers or just from potential hazards on the sidewalk, here are 10 ways to protect yourself.
- Wear bright colors so that you are easily visible to drivers.
- If you walk at night, be sure to wear something reflective, even if it just on your shoes.
- Look both ways before crossing an intersection, even though you have the crossing light.
- Don’t assume a driver sees you. Always try to make eye contact.
- Don’t walk with headphones in. Your ears can help keep you safe as much as your eyes can.
- Always cross at designated areas and stay in the crosswalk.
- Cross with a group if you can. This will increase visibility to drivers.
- Walk on the sidewalk if there is one. If not, always walk against traffic so you can see what is coming toward you.
- Avoid using mobile devices while walking. Such a distraction could cause you to step in front of a car or trip on a hazard on the sidewalk.
- Don’t drink and walk. If you had one too many, call a cab.
Personal Injury Lawyers for Southern California Pedestrians
If you have been injured in an accident as a pedestrian, contact the personal injury attorneys at Petrov Law Firm. We can help you to recover medical expenses, lost wages, and other compensation that you are due for your losses. Call us today at 619-344-0360 to get started.Read More
When most people think of personal injury, they immediately focus on car accidents and slip and fall accidents. While these are two of the most common types of personal injuries that occur, they are far from being the only common ones. Here are 5 other injuries that frequently lead to suits in California.
- Work Injuries – Dangers on the job pose a real threat to workers. You don’t even have to be in a manual labor job to experience an injury at work. Office workers suffer injuries due to unsafe conditions as well.
- Defective Products – An accident can happen when a product is used improperly, but what if you were following the instructions to a T and are still injured? You may able to receive compensation, especially if a defect that the manufacturer should have known about is what resulted in the injury.
- Medical Malpractice – While there are some laws in place that protect medical professionals from frivolous claims, if you are the victim of negligence on the part of a medical professional, there are also laws that will allow you to receive due
- Dangerous Medications – Sometimes a medication makes it past the FDA, but further dangers are discovered once the product has been on the market for a time. If you were taking it with a prescription, this might give you grounds to file suit.
- Assault – If someone injuries you on purpose, you have the potential for making a claim. The assailant could be in for jail time as well as the potential for having to make financial compensation.
Personal Injury Claims in Southern California
If you have suffered a personal injury in the San Diego area, the attorneys at Petrov Law Firm can help you to seek the compensation you deserve. To get your claim started, call 619-344-0360 today.Read More
Probate gets a pretty bad rap for being something that delays beneficiaries from receiving their inheritance and may even eat up considerable funds from the estate. Is there any time when probate court can actually be a good thing? Let’s look at some of the advantages and disadvantages of probate.
The Advantages of Probate
If someone passes away without executing a will or having other estate planning measures in place, probate can really save the day. A few of the advantages include:
- Provides a legal means of redistributing the estate
- Enforces and validates the wishes included in a will
- Cares for remaining debts and taxes so heirs don’t have to worry someone will eventually come knocking at the door looking for money that may have long been spent
- May encourage debt forgiveness due to the window for claims against the estate being short
The Disadvantages of Probate
Here are a few of the reasons most people try to avoid probate with their estate planning:
- Probate is public record, so anyone can look up your financial information
- Executor fees and court costs may cut significantly into the value of the estate
- Probate can keep beneficiaries from receiving funds for weeks, months, or in some cases even years
- Complicated probate regulations can put a huge strain on beneficiaries and especially on the executor of the will
- The courts make the final decisions on your estate rather than you
- The higher the gross value of your estate, the higher the probate fees, making it more cost effective to create and maintain a revocable trust
Southern California Estate Planning Attorneys
Petrov Law Firm has the Southern California estate planning attorneys you can trust to help you develop an affordable and effective plan of action for the future. Contact us today by calling 619-344-0360 to get started.Read More
You want to save for your future, but you also want to plan for the future of your family. How can you get your retirement plan to play nice with your estate plan and ensure that you get to enjoy your golden years and still pass on an inheritance to your loved ones? Here are a few things to consider.
Your Retirement Fund Can’t Be Part of Your Trust
Your trust can’t own the retirement fund. That means you have to select a separate beneficiary for your retirement account. You can leave the retirement money and the trust to the same individual, just not with one nested under the other.
When selecting a beneficiary for a retirement fund, remember that there are tax advantages and other financial benefits to leaving these funds directly to a spouse. For example, regardless of who the beneficiary is, retirement funds don’t go through probate. They pass directly to the named beneficiary. However, only a spouse can defer minimum distribution until he or she hits retirement age.
Making Your Retirement Fund Beneficiary Your Trust
Why not simply leave your retirement fund to your loved one? What if he or she was to make the mistake of taking all of the funds at once and ends up paying half of the inheritance out in taxes the next year? That would be an expensive error. But your trustee could ensure that the retirement fund is stretched and distributions are taken at the proper times to maximize the payout.
Leaving Your Estate and Retirement Funds Behind the Right Way
Petrov Law Firm can help you to negotiate the laws that California has in place regarding estate planning and retirement funds. To get the help you need in planning for a better future, call us today at 619-344-0360.Read More
If you are filing a personal injury claim, you want to be straightforward about any preexisting conditions you may have, especially with your lawyer. Why do clients sometimes withhold information about preexisting issues? What effect can this have on a claim? Read on to learn about this important factor in a personal injury suit.
Why People Feel the Need to Hide a Preexisting Condition
You may think that if you reveal a preexisting condition, it will affect the amount of your settlement. For example, if you get migraines but they become far worse after your car accident, you may neglect to mention you already would get migraines before. Why? Well, you may be concerned that opposing counsel will try to limit your medical compensation because the migraines were a preexisting condition and the fact that they got worse may have had nothing to do with the accident.
Why You Should Disclose Any Preexisting Conditions or Injuries
While the above scenario could be true, imagine how bad it will look when the condition comes out (and it will) during the course of a trial or negotiations. Now it goes from something that could have a minor effect on the settlement to something that calls into question your credibility as a whole. That can have a major effect on your case.
Personal Injury Attorneys to Help You in Southern California
Petrov Law Firm is here to help you with your settlement, so please don’t hide any preexisting conditions from our personal injury attorney. While you may be concerned it will hurt your case, comparing your medical condition before and after the injury may help make your case even more clear and help you to get a better settlement. To get started on your case, call us today at 619-344-0360.Read More