Be Extra Careful While Driving in These 5 Road Conditions
In order to avoid being injured in an accident, the best thing you can do is to drive yourself safely. While the law may not always require you to change how you drive to accommodate road conditions, there are certain circumstances that increase the risk of an accident. Here are five types of road conditions to watch out for.
- Rain – Everyone knows that snow or ice can make roadways slick, but many seem to ignore wet roads. Any moisture on the road requires slower speeds and more room between you and the vehicle ahead of you.
- Darkness – Night driving, in particular, can be dangerous. Be sure to have your lights on from dusk onward. Watch for obstacles on the road, and be courteous to other drivers by shutting your high beams for oncoming traffic.
- Potholes – A pothole can damage a tire and result in a sudden blowout. Try to avoid potholes if at all possible. If you can’t, take the pothole as straight on as you can and slow down a much as you safely can. If your tire pressure light comes on after hitting a pothole or if you feel a wobble in the wheel, pull over immediately to assess the damage.
- Construction Areas – Construction workers are often killed by drivers who fail to use additional caution in work areas. Driving safe in construction areas is a matter of life and death for yourself and the workers.
- Animal Crossings – If you are driving through an area where animals are known to cross, use extra caution. Animals often have trouble judging the speed of cars and may try to run across the road at the last moment.
If You Have Been Injured in a Car Accident in California
The personal injury attorneys at Petrov Law Firm can help you to receive due compensation from the insurance company should you find yourself injured in an accident. Even if you have been offered a settlement, don’t sign anything before you call 619-344-0360. We’re here to help!