When you slip and fall, the first thing you need to do is get the proper medical attention. But while you are waiting for help to arrive and after you have seen a medical professional, here are a few things to think about.
- Document the Conditions – If you slipped on a wet floor with no sign or an obscured wet floor sign, use your smartphone camera to document the conditions. Or maybe you tripped because a sidewalk was not properly maintained or carpeting was worn and rippling. Whatever the cause of the fall, makes sure you can show what the conditions were like.
- Proving Negligence – Once again, this goes back to documenting the conditions. If you had reported the dangerous condition on a previous visit, note when it happened so you can show that there was plenty of time to fix the problem. Take pictures of the current situation so you can show why you didn’t notice the danger today.
- Report the Accident – Report it at the scene of the injury. Report it to the medical professional who tends to your injuries. And be sure to report it to a personal injury lawyer who can help you to build your case.
San Diego’s Personal Injury Attorneys
If you live in the state of California and have experienced a personal injury due to a slip and fall, bring your case to Petrov Law Firm. We can help you to determine if you have a viable case and what losses you can try to gain compensation for. Call 619-344-0360 to get started today.Read More
If you have been injured, you may wonder how you will receive compensation for your medical bills, lost work, and other expenses that you incur. The solution will be related to the answers to the following three questions.
What Type of Injury Did You Suffer?
There are a number of different ways that may have sustained a personal injury. Some of these possibilities include:
- Car accidents
- Dog or other animal bites
- Slip and fall accidents
The way you were injured is important because different California state laws will dictate who is at fault for the injury and how the expenses will be covered.
When Did the Injury Occur?
Why is the timing of the injury important? It is because California state law has a statute of limitations on seeking compensation for an accident that leads to injury. As a result, it is important to seek legal assistance as soon as you can following such an injury.
Who Is Responsible for the Injury?
Finally, you need to determine if there was any fault or negligence on the part of someone else that led to your injury. Most defending lawyers in a personal injury case will try to make a case that blame is shared due to various factors. You want someone in your corner who can ensure you are fully compensated for your losses.
Personal Injury Lawyers in San Diego, California
If you have been injured in southern California, contact the personal injury attorneys at Petrov Law Firm. We have the experience and ability to help you maximize your settlement. Call 619-344-0360 today to get started.Read More
If you have been injured in a slip and fall accident, you may want to seek compensation for medical bills and other losses. What do you need in order to prove that the injury was the fault of the property owner? Here are three ways to pin an injury on the owner of the property where the slip and fall occurred:
- The property owner or an employee created the conditions that led to the slip and fall accident. For example, if you fell due to a spill, was the spill caused by the owner or one of the owner’s employee’s. If you caused the spill or another guest of the property, the owner might not be at fault.
- The property owner or an employee knew the dangerous circumstances existed but chose not to act. In other words, was there time for the owner or employee to do something about it? If another customer spills something right in front of you and you immediately slip, there was nothing the establishment could have done. If a customer spilled something and an employee walked by, shrugged, and went on break, now the burden may be on the company.
- The dangerous situation is something the property owner or a representative should have known about. For example, if the carpet of a building is clearly uneven due to wear and tear and appears to have been like that for years, it would be tough to make the claim that they didn’t know, even if they only set foot on the property on rare occasions.
Help with Your Slip and Fall Claim in San Diego, California
If you have suffered an injury in a slip and fall accident near San Diego or Chula Vista, contact the personal injury attorneys at Petrov Law Firm. Our experienced team can help you to see if you have a valid case and will fight for you to get the settlement you deserve. Call 619-344-0360 today to get started.Read More
When a person is injured, a question often arises as to who is responsible for medical bills and other losses that may be suffered. We’re going to take a closer look at three of the most common types of personal injury cases in the state of California.
#1 Vehicular Accidents
Injuries in auto accidents are very common. Whether the person who is injured is a driver, passenger, or pedestrian, it calls into question who is at fault and which insurance company is responsible for the damages.
#2 Dog Bites
Dog bites are extremely common injuries, and sadly, many of the victims are children. It is important always to monitor children playing with pets, especially dogs. However, if an injury occurs, it may call into question whether the dog’s owner is responsible.
#3 Slip and Fall Accidents
From tripping over a break in the sidewalk to slipping on a wet floor, there are all sorts of ways that people end up in trip and fall accidents. Is the injury the fault of the property owner? There are a number of considerations that come into play to determine whether there is any fault or negligence.
San Diego’s Personal Injury Attorneys
If you have been injured in the state of California in one of these common types of occurrences, then we encourage you to talk to our attorneys at Petrov Law Firm. By calling 619-344-0360, you get the legal help you need along with the compassion you deserve. Find out why our clients are confident we are interested not just in cases but in people.Read More
You’ve slipped and hurt yourself on someone else’s property. It seems like it should be an open and shut case. In fact, you expect a settlement any day now. However, there are several reasons the settlement you are offered may be a fraction of what you deserve, assuming you are offered anything at all. There are three things you need for your slip and fall case, and without an experienced lawyer in your corner, the complete package may not come together. Here are the three key elements of your personal injury case:
- Eyewitness testimony – When you are injured, the first thing you think of may not be to get the phone number of anyone who saw the incident. But this can be an important element to your case. After all, if no one saw you fall, your injuries alone may not be enough to prove the accident was someone else’s fault.
- CCTV footage – The best-case scenario is that there is a security camera that caught it all on tape. But if the security camera belongs to the company or person you want to sue, have fun trying to get your hands on it. A lawyer can help to subpoena the footage. If it mysteriously disappears, that may provide a lawyer with enough leverage to get you a better settlement (although it would make things more complicated in an actual court case).
- Proof of negligence – This is the tricky part. How do you prove that a responsible person knew about the potential hazard and either ignored it or was being slow about fixing it? It may come down to proving that the hazard was there long enough that there was sufficient time for it to be noticed and repaired, even if everyone genuinely walked by it every day without notice.
If You Have Been Injured in a Slip and Fall Accident
If you are looking for a personal injury lawyer in California, you’ve come to the right place. The attorneys at Petrov Law Firm have a great deal of experience with trip and fall accidents. Let us help you get the best possible settlement. Call 619-233-0360 today!Read More
The effects of a slip and fall accident can range from mild embarrassment to tragic death. It’s far better to avoid the injuries associated with falls, and doing so requires knowing what poses the greatest risk. Here are two things to look out for on a regular basis to avoid injury.
Caution: Wet Floor
Any surface that is wet immediately becomes more dangerous to walk on. Even if a caution sign is up, you need to adjust your pace to ensure you don’t fall. Seeing the sign isn’t enough to keep you from injury. Walk around wet areas and spills if possible. Be careful on concrete or pavement that is wet as well.
Bumps in the Road
Uneven walking surfaces can also lead to a quick trip. Damaged carpet that is beginning to bunch can make an indoor walking surface dangerous. Uneven sidewalks that have cracked and settled in odd patterns also poses a threat. Be careful to keep the walkways at your home or business well-maintained, both inside and out.
If You Have Suffered a Slip and Fall Injury
Slipping accounts for about 12% of falls each year and over a million visits to the ER. If you’ve had a slip and fall accident, you are far from alone. You shouldn’t be alone when it comes to getting a settlement either. That’s why the personal injury attorneys at Petrov Law Firm offer free, no-obligation consultations to slip and fall victims. Call 619-344-0360 to speak with someone now.Read More
In the state of California, the person (or business) who owns or occupies a building has a responsibility when it comes to the wellbeing of those who visit the property for work, recreation, or other reasons. However, that does not mean the owner is automatically responsible for everything that happens on the property.
Slip and fall accidents occur every year at commercial and residential locations. In fact, apartments and condo complexes are among the facilities most sued for personal injury due to slip and fall accidents. However, it is important to note that private homes also fall into the category of premises liability.
Of course, many injuries occur due to slip and fall injuries at commercial properties when it comes to both employees and visitors. Let’s take a look at 3 of the biggest slip and fall settlements in California.
- A man fell at work when an improperly used cleaning machine left wet streaks on the floor. Extensive injuries led to a settlement of $190,000.
- A person shopping in a shoe store sustained injuries due to the location of a sale sign that caused a fall. The $350,000 settlement covered the $115,000 in medical bills, plus other damages.
- A shopper at a large wholesale store slipped on a liquid soap spill and her kneecap was broken. She was awarded more than $400,000 in court when it was revealed that the employees of the store new about the spill and were negligent in cleaning it up.
Getting Help After a Slip and Fall Accident
As these cases show, most slip and fall accidents are settled out of court. But whether being offered a settlement or going to trial, you want a good personal injury attorney in your corner who can help you to receive compensation for all of your medical bills as well as for pain and suffering. Petrov Law Firm has an experienced legal team to help you receive the damages you are owed. Don’t try to go it alone. Call 619-344-0360 and maximize your compensation.Read More
Every day, 25,000 people slip and fall in the United States. Many of those accidents take place at work and may result in serious injury. Here are some of the biggest workplace slip hazards and how to avoid them.
The Most Common Causes of Slip and Fall Injuries
Here are a few things that California businesses will want to watch out for, and things that employees should report immediately in order to keep the workplace safe.
- Slippery surfaces
- Wet surfaces due to cleaning
- Wet surfaces due to leaks
- Wet surfaces due to foot traffic on a rainy day
- Poorly lit areas
- Uneven surfaces
- Poorly marked transitions (i.e. a sudden step down)
Use of wet floor signs, quick cleanup of dangerous situations, proper lighting, and well-marked areas where a person should watch his or her step can do much to reduce the number of slip and fall accidents.
If You Have Been Injured in a Slip and Fall Accident
The first thing to do after an injury is sustained at the workplace is to fill out an accurate injury report. One should also communicate with and get contact information from any eyewitnesses. Since it is very rare for a slip and fall to happen without something that caused it, an important step is to document the problem by taking pictures before anything can be changed.
The personal injury attorneys at Petrov Law Firm are experts when it comes to helping slip and fall injury victims to receive the appropriate compensation. Call 619-344-0360 to learn more.Read More
If you have suffered an injury from a slip and fall accident at a commercial or residential property, you may be contacted by an insurance company with a settlement to keep things from going to court. If you are offered what you consider to be a reasonable amount of money, should you cut out the middle man and sign your right to a suit away without consulting a lawyer? Here’s how trying to save a few dollars may cost you a lot in the end.
Why Insurance Companies Offer Settlements
The idea of the settlement is to make things go away quietly and without the introduction of an experienced lawyer. These settlements are usually on the low end of the compensation due. It is just enough money to be enticing to the injured person. However, it is always a good idea to have legal counsel review any documents before you sign them.
Once you sign and accept a settlement, you can’t seek more damages later. If it turns out your injuries were worse than you thought or you end up losing your work over the injury, you won’t be able to go back and renegotiate a better deal. You may even find out that people in similar situations have received many times more than what you settled for.
Speak to One of Our Slip and Fall Attorneys First
Contact Petrov Law Firm at 619-344-0360 before you sign any papers. Our experienced personal injury lawyers can help you to get the full compensation you deserve for your injuries. This will allow you to care for expensive medical bills, and to not be hurt by time missed from work and even lost future work.
Slip and fall injuries number into the millions annually, and that is just in the United States alone. There is no other accidental form of injury that occurs more frequently. What are the most common ways that this type of accident occurs? Knowing these 7 common causes may help you to protect yourself from injury or help you avoid creating the circumstances that can hurt someone else.
Slippery Surfaces – This can include icy winter surfaces or slippery, wet surfaces due to rain, mopping, etc. Tile entryways need a non-slip mat to reduce the risk of injury.
Uneven Pavement or Sidewalks – Businesses and homeowners need to care properly for parking lots, driveways, and walkways.
Nursing Home Neglect – Fall risk increases as one ages. Unfortunately, many nursing homes do not provide sufficient assistance for residents in this regard.
Work Place Dangers – Employee training can a long way toward avoiding injuries when workers need to navigate slippery surfaces.
Obstacles in Hallways/Aisles – Crowded grocery stores or departments stores need to make sure there is sufficient walking room for customers.
Poor Lighting – Slippery surfaces or obstacles become even more dangerous when there is a lack of proper lighting to illuminate the problem.
Clutter – Whether in the home or workplace, piling clutter can quickly become a danger.
Compensation for a Slip and Fall Injury
If you have been injured in a slip and fall accident as a result of the dangers noted above, or another reason, the Petrov Law Firm’s personal injury attorneys can help you to get the compensation that you deserve. Call 619-344-0360 today to schedule a free consultation.Read More