When a person suffers a slip and fall injury, a settlement usually takes place. However, there are a few things to keep in mind before signing a settlement agreement and before rejecting one. Here are two important things to remember.
- You only get one shot. Once you sign the settlement agreement, it will protect the defendant from further lawsuits. So to be sure you are getting the full compensation you deserve, you should seek the assistance of a personal injury attorney before signing anything. Many people try to reach a settlement themselves to avoid paying out a cut to an attorney, but the amount they get shortchanged would have more than paid the legal fees.
- You only have two years to file suit in a slip and fall case in California. That means you need to hire an attorney right away in case things do go to court. Once those two years are up, all settlements will be off the table because opposing counsel will know that you can no longer sue, no matter how serious your injuries were.
The Help You Need for a Slip and Fall Accident in Southern California
If you have suffered a slip and fall injury in the Chula Vista or San Diego areas, contact Petrov Law Firm today at 619-344-0360. Our experienced personal injury attorneys can help you to maximize your settlement and keep you from missing out on receiving compensation due to allowing the statue of limitations to lapse.Read More
Sometimes a client calls to let us know they would like to open a suit since they fell in a store. While the store owner may be at fault for the injury and the client may be due compensation, this is not always the case. There are certain factors that we will go over with the client to help you understand how personal injury suits work. Here are a few things you need to know:
- The store owner is not responsible for your safety. They are only required by law to provide reasonable care. In other words, an injury in a store is not automatically the owner’s fault.
- Negligence can be proven if the store was not properly inspected a reasonable amount of time before the injury took place. Here’s an example. Let’s say someone breaks a pickle jar in a grocery store. Three minutes later, you slip on the pickling liquid and fall. It’s not really reasonable to expect the store to notice the spill and clean it that quickly. But if it sat there for three hours, you have a much better case for negligence.
- You need facts, not guesses. If you slipped but are not sure what you slipped on, it will be tough to prove it was the store’s fault. They may be able to claim you fell on your own. If you slipped on soapy mop water or tripped over a part of the rug that was frayed, now you know exactly what led to the fall, and it can be traced back to the store.
Help for Your Slip and Fall Accident Case in California
As you can see, it is important to have experienced personal injury attorneys in your corner when you are dealing with a slip and fall case in California. The experienced lawyers at Petrov Law Firm will be happy to help you see if you have a case and to assist you to maximize your settlement. To learn more, call 619-344-0360 today.Read More
If you have been injured in the state of California, you may be due certain forms of compensation. For example, you may be able to recover medical bills that incurred due to the injury. You may even be able to get compensation for lost wages, pain and suffering, and to cover other damages.
But you have to act promptly. Why? California has statute of limitations laws that protect the offending party if you allow too much time to pass between the injury and the claim. Here are a few things you need to know.
Statute of Limitations by Claim Type
The type of claim dictates how quickly you have to build your case. Here are three examples:
- When a government agency is involved – If you have a claim against a government agency (you have a slip and fall accident in a government building, for example), you only have 6 months to make your claim.
- Personal injury – If you were in a car accident or suffered a personal injury in another way, you get two full years to make a claim. However, you still need to start building your case right from day one by seeking medical attention and then finding a lawyer to represent you.
- Property damage – Property damage claims have a three-year statute of limitations.
Filing Your Personal Injury Claim in Southern California
If you have suffered a personal injury in the state of California, now is the time to act. Petrov Law Firm has personal injury attorneys that service Southern California from our San Diego and Chula Vista locations. To learn more, call us today at 619-344-0360.Read More
Some jobs are just more dangerous than others. However, you may be surprised to find out which career fields see the most claims. We’re going to take a look at five jobs that may not seem that dangerous at first glance but that result in a high percentage of claims according to California’s Department of Labor.
- Animal workers – Animals can be unpredictable. So whether your job is to feed, raise, or slaughter animals, you’re in one of the riskiest businesses in California.
- Messengers – Between UPS, FedEx, and the US postal office, there isn’t a huge private courier service population. But if you are the rare independent messenger, be careful. Injury rates are over 6%.
- Woodworking – If you work in manufacturing and deal with wood product assembly, you’re actually in the most dangerous manufacturing field.
- Air transport – Passengers may be far safer in the air than on land, but pilots, aircraft mechanics, and workers who transfer freight are all at high risk.
- Nursing and home care – This is the number one most dangerous job in California based on the sheer rate of injuries. And if you thought you were in danger working in the private sector, government employees face nearly double the risk of any other career in the state.
Personal Injury Lawyers in Southern California
If you have suffered a personal injury in or near the San Diego area, the experienced personal injury attorneys at Petrov Law Firm are here to help. Just call 619-344-0360 to get started on your case today.Read More
There is nothing more tragic than losing a loved one prematurely due to someone else’s negligence. We’re going to list 6 broad categories of circumstances that constitute wrongful death. If your family has faced one of these situations, you need to find a compassionate lawyer to help you through this difficult time.
- Medical malpractice – Doctors and their staff need to perform the right medical procedures and provide the proper doses of medication to avoid culpability in a patient’s death.
- Auto accidents – Whether the other driver was under the influence of something, driving recklessly, or just plain negligent in driving practices or in maintaining the vehicle, it may qualify as wrongful
- Transportation accidents – Cars are not the only place where a wrongful death can occur. The same holds true when a person travels via plane, train, or bus.
- Product defects – Whether there is something wrong with the product itself or the instructions on how to use it safely, this may qualify as wrongful
- Failure to properly train employees – If an employee is killed on the job because he or she received insufficient safety training regarding a foreseeable danger, the incident may have been preventable.
- Unsafe roadways – Road hazards happen, but what if the hazard is fixable and has been in place for weeks or even months with no warning to drivers. This may qualify as a wrongful death case as well.
Legal Assistance When You Need It Most
If your family is dealing with a tragedy due to one of the circumstances noted above, contact Petrov Law Firm. We provide the compassionate legal assistance that families in Southern California need when calamity strikes. Call 619-344-0360 to speak to someone about your circumstances today.Read More
When most people think of personal injury, they immediately focus on car accidents and slip and fall accidents. While these are two of the most common types of personal injuries that occur, they are far from being the only common ones. Here are 5 other injuries that frequently lead to suits in California.
- Work Injuries – Dangers on the job pose a real threat to workers. You don’t even have to be in a manual labor job to experience an injury at work. Office workers suffer injuries due to unsafe conditions as well.
- Defective Products – An accident can happen when a product is used improperly, but what if you were following the instructions to a T and are still injured? You may able to receive compensation, especially if a defect that the manufacturer should have known about is what resulted in the injury.
- Medical Malpractice – While there are some laws in place that protect medical professionals from frivolous claims, if you are the victim of negligence on the part of a medical professional, there are also laws that will allow you to receive due
- Dangerous Medications – Sometimes a medication makes it past the FDA, but further dangers are discovered once the product has been on the market for a time. If you were taking it with a prescription, this might give you grounds to file suit.
- Assault – If someone injuries you on purpose, you have the potential for making a claim. The assailant could be in for jail time as well as the potential for having to make financial compensation.
Personal Injury Claims in Southern California
If you have suffered a personal injury in the San Diego area, the attorneys at Petrov Law Firm can help you to seek the compensation you deserve. To get your claim started, call 619-344-0360 today.Read More
If you are filing a personal injury claim, you want to be straightforward about any preexisting conditions you may have, especially with your lawyer. Why do clients sometimes withhold information about preexisting issues? What effect can this have on a claim? Read on to learn about this important factor in a personal injury suit.
Why People Feel the Need to Hide a Preexisting Condition
You may think that if you reveal a preexisting condition, it will affect the amount of your settlement. For example, if you get migraines but they become far worse after your car accident, you may neglect to mention you already would get migraines before. Why? Well, you may be concerned that opposing counsel will try to limit your medical compensation because the migraines were a preexisting condition and the fact that they got worse may have had nothing to do with the accident.
Why You Should Disclose Any Preexisting Conditions or Injuries
While the above scenario could be true, imagine how bad it will look when the condition comes out (and it will) during the course of a trial or negotiations. Now it goes from something that could have a minor effect on the settlement to something that calls into question your credibility as a whole. That can have a major effect on your case.
Personal Injury Attorneys to Help You in Southern California
Petrov Law Firm is here to help you with your settlement, so please don’t hide any preexisting conditions from our personal injury attorney. While you may be concerned it will hurt your case, comparing your medical condition before and after the injury may help make your case even more clear and help you to get a better settlement. To get started on your case, call us today at 619-344-0360.Read More
If someone under the age of 18 in the state of California is involved in a personal injury settlement, there are additional regulations that do not apply in all personal injury cases. What do you need to know about and how many this affect your settlement?
In California, court supervision is required for cases involving minors. These regulations have been put in place by the state in order to ensure that children get a fair settlement. The funds will not be accessible to the child until he or she turns 18. In most cases, the funds will either be used to purchase an annuity or they will be put into a blocked account.
If an annuity is the chose form of settlement payment, funds with either be received annually starting from when the child turns 18 or they may be dispensed in lump sums at certain time periods (for example, one payment every three years or at particular birthdays until of the money is divested).
There are certain rare exceptions where the settlement is determined to be a sum of less than $5,000 where the money becomes immediately available for the minor. In even more exceptional situations, the court may allow parents to make funds available to minors before they turn 18. However, the circumstances surrounding such a situation need to be quite extraordinary.
Help in Attaining Fair Personal Injury Settlements
The courts often only provide assistance for minors seeking a settlement. Thus, it may become necessary to hire a personal injury attorney to determine if an insurance provider is offering a reasonable settlement. Petrov Law Firm will be happy to help you determine what a fair settlement should be. Contact us today at 619-344-0360.Read More
When you slip and fall, the first thing you need to do is get the proper medical attention. But while you are waiting for help to arrive and after you have seen a medical professional, here are a few things to think about.
- Document the Conditions – If you slipped on a wet floor with no sign or an obscured wet floor sign, use your smartphone camera to document the conditions. Or maybe you tripped because a sidewalk was not properly maintained or carpeting was worn and rippling. Whatever the cause of the fall, makes sure you can show what the conditions were like.
- Proving Negligence – Once again, this goes back to documenting the conditions. If you had reported the dangerous condition on a previous visit, note when it happened so you can show that there was plenty of time to fix the problem. Take pictures of the current situation so you can show why you didn’t notice the danger today.
- Report the Accident – Report it at the scene of the injury. Report it to the medical professional who tends to your injuries. And be sure to report it to a personal injury lawyer who can help you to build your case.
San Diego’s Personal Injury Attorneys
If you live in the state of California and have experienced a personal injury due to a slip and fall, bring your case to Petrov Law Firm. We can help you to determine if you have a viable case and what losses you can try to gain compensation for. Call 619-344-0360 to get started today.Read More
If you have been injured, you may wonder how you will receive compensation for your medical bills, lost work, and other expenses that you incur. The solution will be related to the answers to the following three questions.
What Type of Injury Did You Suffer?
There are a number of different ways that may have sustained a personal injury. Some of these possibilities include:
- Car accidents
- Dog or other animal bites
- Slip and fall accidents
The way you were injured is important because different California state laws will dictate who is at fault for the injury and how the expenses will be covered.
When Did the Injury Occur?
Why is the timing of the injury important? It is because California state law has a statute of limitations on seeking compensation for an accident that leads to injury. As a result, it is important to seek legal assistance as soon as you can following such an injury.
Who Is Responsible for the Injury?
Finally, you need to determine if there was any fault or negligence on the part of someone else that led to your injury. Most defending lawyers in a personal injury case will try to make a case that blame is shared due to various factors. You want someone in your corner who can ensure you are fully compensated for your losses.
Personal Injury Lawyers in San Diego, California
If you have been injured in southern California, contact the personal injury attorneys at Petrov Law Firm. We have the experience and ability to help you maximize your settlement. Call 619-344-0360 today to get started.Read More