When someone is injured, you may wonder who should be held responsible for the medical bills and other losses the injured person may have experienced. Let’s see how this question applies to some of the more common ways in which individuals are injured in Southern California.
- Car Accidents – Automotive accident injuries are extremely common and often lead to major medical expenses. However, California is a fault state, so liability is determined by the percent of fault the various parties share.
- Slip and Fall Injuries – Whether you slip on wet tile or trip over a run in the carpet, what needs to be determined is whether the property owner caused the issue, knew about the issue, and had enough time to respond to the issue.
- Dog Attacks – Dog bites are probably more common than you think. Children are the most likely to be bitten, so it is vital to monitor the interactions between children and animals. If a dog bite occurs, the owner may be culpable depending on the circumstances.
Personal Injury Lawyers in Southern California
If you have been injured in any of the ways mentioned in this article, the personal injury lawyers at Petrov Law Firm can help. We have experience in helping the victims of car accidents, slip and fall accidents, and dog bites receive a proper settlement. To learn more, schedule a consultation with our conveniently located San Diego and Chula Vista offices today. Just call 619-344-0360 to get started.Read More
The NHTSA has released the numbers for 2016 traffic accidents and fatalities. What is the verdict for the state of California? It is officially the most dangerous state to drive in. How bad is it? What are the leading causes of traffic fatalities in California? What is your recourse if you have lost a loved on to such a terrible tragedy?
There are 50 states in the US, which makes California 2% of the nation. However, more than 10% of the fatal accidents in the country take place here. Now it is true that California makes up about 12% of the US population, so that skews the numbers a little. But driving is still one of the most dangerous things you can do in California. Why?
The two biggest dangers for drivers are speeding and distractions. One or both of these elements play into almost every fatal traffic accident in the state. Despite laws banning texting and driving, many still insist they know better. Others have been involved in fatal accidents while using social media and taking photos or videos while behind the wheel.
Compassionate Assistance for Those Who Have Lost a Loved One
If you have lost a family member in such a tragic way, our hearts go out to you. Please call 619-344-0360 to let the compassionate attorneys at Petrov Law Firm help you with your wrongful death suit. Our experienced team can help you to maximize a settlement. We know it won’t bring your loved one back, but we still want to help you to get what you need during your time of loss.Read More
If you have been injured in the state of California, you may be due certain forms of compensation. For example, you may be able to recover medical bills that incurred due to the injury. You may even be able to get compensation for lost wages, pain and suffering, and to cover other damages.
But you have to act promptly. Why? California has statute of limitations laws that protect the offending party if you allow too much time to pass between the injury and the claim. Here are a few things you need to know.
Statute of Limitations by Claim Type
The type of claim dictates how quickly you have to build your case. Here are three examples:
- When a government agency is involved – If you have a claim against a government agency (you have a slip and fall accident in a government building, for example), you only have 6 months to make your claim.
- Personal injury – If you were in a car accident or suffered a personal injury in another way, you get two full years to make a claim. However, you still need to start building your case right from day one by seeking medical attention and then finding a lawyer to represent you.
- Property damage – Property damage claims have a three-year statute of limitations.
Filing Your Personal Injury Claim in Southern California
If you have suffered a personal injury in the state of California, now is the time to act. Petrov Law Firm has personal injury attorneys that service Southern California from our San Diego and Chula Vista locations. To learn more, call us today at 619-344-0360.Read More
Some jobs are just more dangerous than others. However, you may be surprised to find out which career fields see the most claims. We’re going to take a look at five jobs that may not seem that dangerous at first glance but that result in a high percentage of claims according to California’s Department of Labor.
- Animal workers – Animals can be unpredictable. So whether your job is to feed, raise, or slaughter animals, you’re in one of the riskiest businesses in California.
- Messengers – Between UPS, FedEx, and the US postal office, there isn’t a huge private courier service population. But if you are the rare independent messenger, be careful. Injury rates are over 6%.
- Woodworking – If you work in manufacturing and deal with wood product assembly, you’re actually in the most dangerous manufacturing field.
- Air transport – Passengers may be far safer in the air than on land, but pilots, aircraft mechanics, and workers who transfer freight are all at high risk.
- Nursing and home care – This is the number one most dangerous job in California based on the sheer rate of injuries. And if you thought you were in danger working in the private sector, government employees face nearly double the risk of any other career in the state.
Personal Injury Lawyers in Southern California
If you have suffered a personal injury in or near the San Diego area, the experienced personal injury attorneys at Petrov Law Firm are here to help. Just call 619-344-0360 to get started on your case today.Read More
There is nothing more tragic than losing a loved one prematurely due to someone else’s negligence. We’re going to list 6 broad categories of circumstances that constitute wrongful death. If your family has faced one of these situations, you need to find a compassionate lawyer to help you through this difficult time.
- Medical malpractice – Doctors and their staff need to perform the right medical procedures and provide the proper doses of medication to avoid culpability in a patient’s death.
- Auto accidents – Whether the other driver was under the influence of something, driving recklessly, or just plain negligent in driving practices or in maintaining the vehicle, it may qualify as wrongful
- Transportation accidents – Cars are not the only place where a wrongful death can occur. The same holds true when a person travels via plane, train, or bus.
- Product defects – Whether there is something wrong with the product itself or the instructions on how to use it safely, this may qualify as wrongful
- Failure to properly train employees – If an employee is killed on the job because he or she received insufficient safety training regarding a foreseeable danger, the incident may have been preventable.
- Unsafe roadways – Road hazards happen, but what if the hazard is fixable and has been in place for weeks or even months with no warning to drivers. This may qualify as a wrongful death case as well.
Legal Assistance When You Need It Most
If your family is dealing with a tragedy due to one of the circumstances noted above, contact Petrov Law Firm. We provide the compassionate legal assistance that families in Southern California need when calamity strikes. Call 619-344-0360 to speak to someone about your circumstances today.Read More
When most people think of personal injury, they immediately focus on car accidents and slip and fall accidents. While these are two of the most common types of personal injuries that occur, they are far from being the only common ones. Here are 5 other injuries that frequently lead to suits in California.
- Work Injuries – Dangers on the job pose a real threat to workers. You don’t even have to be in a manual labor job to experience an injury at work. Office workers suffer injuries due to unsafe conditions as well.
- Defective Products – An accident can happen when a product is used improperly, but what if you were following the instructions to a T and are still injured? You may able to receive compensation, especially if a defect that the manufacturer should have known about is what resulted in the injury.
- Medical Malpractice – While there are some laws in place that protect medical professionals from frivolous claims, if you are the victim of negligence on the part of a medical professional, there are also laws that will allow you to receive due
- Dangerous Medications – Sometimes a medication makes it past the FDA, but further dangers are discovered once the product has been on the market for a time. If you were taking it with a prescription, this might give you grounds to file suit.
- Assault – If someone injuries you on purpose, you have the potential for making a claim. The assailant could be in for jail time as well as the potential for having to make financial compensation.
Personal Injury Claims in Southern California
If you have suffered a personal injury in the San Diego area, the attorneys at Petrov Law Firm can help you to seek the compensation you deserve. To get your claim started, call 619-344-0360 today.Read More
California was ranked among the top 6 states for traffic safety laws according to a recent study performed by the Advocates for Highway and Auto Safety. What laws are in place that protect California residents? Are there any laws that could be added to increase safety further? How many fatalities occur on California roads despite these laws? Read on to learn the answers.
California State Laws that Protect Drivers
California lawmakers have adopted numerous laws to show that safety is important in the state. For example, seat belts are required for all drivers and passengers, including those in the back seat of the vehicle. Motorcycle riders are required to wear helmets. Infants and toddlers must be in a rear-facing seat at least through age 2, and there is a booster seat law in place. Other important laws include a ban on open alcoholic containers in the vehicle as well as a ban on texting and driving.
Other Laws Suggested in the Report
Of course, there are still states that have stricter laws when it comes to certain habits, and the report listed some that could be of benefit in California. For example, while texting and driving is banned, many states have a law against all hand-held devices. This would further reduce distractions for drivers. California also does not yet require ignition locks for all offenders of impaired driving laws.
If You Have Been Injured on California Roads
While no system of driving laws is perfect, one of the most highly trafficked states has been able to keep the 10-year fatality statistic at 31,750. Of course, many more are injured in accidents. It is estimated that accidents cost the state nearly $20 billion per year. If you have been injured in an automotive accident, seek the compensation you are owed by calling 619-344-0360. The personal injury lawyers at Petrov Law Firm will be happy to assist you.Read More
Recent research reveals that sitting at a desk is not as safe as most people think. However, there are still plenty of jobs that pose more immediate threats. Here are five of the most dangerous jobs. Did yours make the list?
- Police Officer – An officer of the law is putting his or her life on the line to protect others. That is certainly a commendable career option. Unfortunately, it also means dangers that don’t necessarily end when an officer’s shift is over. You always need to be cognizant of your surroundings to ensure that the job isn’t trying to follow you home.
- Lumberjack – Logging is one of the most dangerous jobs around. One wrong move can end a life quickly in a field that involves high-powered equipment and an extremely heavy product. Long hours add fatigue to the list of dangers.
- Construction Worker – Not only is safety equipment vital for workers in this industry, but you run the full risk of injuries due to the elements from frostbite in the dead of winter to the risk of heatstroke in summer.
- Mechanic – The list of dangers in this workplace environment can’t be understated. From noxious chemicals to dangerous tools, a mechanic’s shop is no place for an untrained individual. Even professionals can quickly come to harm if you let your guard down.
- Metalworker – Welders and other metalworkers are dealing with intense heat, bright lights, sharp metallic edges, and more. From an equipment malfunction to a mistake in safety protocol, this profession can go from zero to deadly in an instant.
Personal Injury Attorneys San Diego Workers Can Trust
If you have been injured working in a dangerous job, the fault may be due to negligence or lack of safety training by an employer. To learn if you are eligible for compensation, contact the personal injury professionals at Petrov Law Firm. California residents can call 619-344-0360 to schedule a consultation.Read More
The state of California has heavy penalties in place for DUI offenders. These laws are in place to discourage drivers from getting behind the wheel while intoxicated. A drunk driver can destroy lives in an instant. Despite these penalties, many injuries are still sustained each year due to driving while intoxicated. Here is a list of some of the penalties in place in the state of California.
The minimum penalty for a first-time offender (assuming no one is hurt or killed) includes:
- $1,800 in fines and assessments
- 2 days in jail or 3 months with a restricted license (only driving back and forth to work or treatment is allowed)
- 3 to 9 months of mandatory treatment (depending on BAC) which costs about $500
- Loss of license for 30 days (the restricted license begins after this period)
These penalties quickly escalate for second and third-time offenders. However, if someone is hurt or dies as a result of the DUI, penalties may include a felony that will result in prison time. Depending on whether the person was a previous offender, the minimum sentence will be somewhere between one and five years.
If You or a Loved One Has Become the Victim of a Drunk Driver
If you have been hurt or have tragically lost a loved one due to someone driving under the influence, you deserve to be compensated for all of your losses. This can include lost future wages, medical costs, pain and suffering, and more. The compassionate lawyers at Petrov Law Firm can help you to handle these sensitive matters when you may not mentally be in a position to seek a reasonable settlement yourself. Let us help you start to put the pieces back together. In many wrongful death cases, we only get paid if we win for you. Just call 619-344-0360 for help in the state of California.Read More
Every day, 25,000 people slip and fall in the United States. Many of those accidents take place at work and may result in serious injury. Here are some of the biggest workplace slip hazards and how to avoid them.
The Most Common Causes of Slip and Fall Injuries
Here are a few things that California businesses will want to watch out for, and things that employees should report immediately in order to keep the workplace safe.
- Slippery surfaces
- Wet surfaces due to cleaning
- Wet surfaces due to leaks
- Wet surfaces due to foot traffic on a rainy day
- Poorly lit areas
- Uneven surfaces
- Poorly marked transitions (i.e. a sudden step down)
Use of wet floor signs, quick cleanup of dangerous situations, proper lighting, and well-marked areas where a person should watch his or her step can do much to reduce the number of slip and fall accidents.
If You Have Been Injured in a Slip and Fall Accident
The first thing to do after an injury is sustained at the workplace is to fill out an accurate injury report. One should also communicate with and get contact information from any eyewitnesses. Since it is very rare for a slip and fall to happen without something that caused it, an important step is to document the problem by taking pictures before anything can be changed.
The personal injury attorneys at Petrov Law Firm are experts when it comes to helping slip and fall injury victims to receive the appropriate compensation. Call 619-344-0360 to learn more.Read More