Summer makes people want to be outside having fun in the sun. That means more trips to the beach, local pools, or maybe even to a lake. However, there are a number of dangers that lurk in association with water recreation. Here are a few ways to keep you and your family safe.
Avoiding Common Water Injuries
Here are a few things you can do to stay safe and keep your fun activities from quickly becoming dangerous:
- Avoid water that isn’t properly treated – If you get some kind of parasite from pool water that hasn’t been cared for properly, the owner will likely be held responsible for medical expenses. However, if you are at some random lake or pond, it’s tough to know if the water is safe, and you will be swimming at your own risk.
- Use caution around power watercraft – Someone on a jet ski should be looking out for swimmers, but it is better to use caution and stay out of the line of watercraft than to get hurt, even if it’s not your fault.
- Watch out for shallow water – Diving into water that is too shallow can lead to serious injury and even death. Pools should be properly marked as to depth and whether diving is safe, but always check the water depth yourself first just to be certain.
If You or a Loved One Has Suffered a Water-Related Injury
There are many times that water injuries could have been avoided with proper caution. A failure to properly treat a pool can lead to serious medical conditions. An incorrectly marked pool can result in paralysis from diving into the shallow end. A boat may strike a swimmer due to the careless operation or because a person wasn’t properly licensed or trained.
The personal injury attorneys at Petrov Law Firm can help you to seek due compensation if an injury has resulted in medical bills, missed work, or mental suffering. To learn more, call 619-344-0360.Read More
The fact is that the great majority of personal injury cases result in settlements, and that’s not a bad thing. However, there are times to settle and times to go to court. Plus, there are times when rejecting an initial settlement may lead to a better offer without the need for a court battle. Here are a few things you should know about settling personal injury cases out of court.
Situations Where You Shouldn’t Accept a Settlement
Here are a few times to avoid accepting a settlement or a when settlement may not be possible:
- The insurance company or lawyer won’t give you time to consult with your own attorney.
- The settlement amount seems too low.
- The statute of limitations requires a suit.
Getting the Settlement You Deserve
By acting within the appropriate amount of time and consulting with a personal injury attorney, you can help to ensure that you receive an adequate settlement. In the meantime, it is important to avoid signing anything or accepting compensation that would disqualify you from seeking further damages. You also need to contact the right attorney to receive compassionate assistance backed up by experience and expertise in personal injury cases.
The personal injury attorneys at Petrov Law Firm have the knowledge and experience to help you recognise a fair settlement offer. While it is always up to you to determine if you will accept an offer or not, our lawyers can help you to make an educated decision. To learn more and to schedule a consultation, call us today at 619-344-0360.Read More
When a defective product comes off the line, goes through the chain of distribution, reaches a consumer, and causes an injury, the manufacturer is at fault. In fact, if it can be shown that the manufacturer knew that some products were defective, negligence may result in a number of lawsuits. Here are 3 steps you should take if you have been injured by a defective product.
#1 Seek Medical Attention Immediately
Your health is of primary concern, so the first and foremost item of business should be getting the proper medical attention. Make sure you keep copies of all of your medical records related to the injury, including bills and any pictures or x-rays taken of the injury.
#2 Keep the Defective Product
Unless it is dangerous for you to store the item that caused your injury, hanging onto the item can allow you to show how the product caused your injuries. At the very least, you should try to take a number of photographs that show the defect in the product and how the injury occurred.
#3 Contact a Personal Injury Attorney
Don’t sign anything before speaking to an attorney, even if the manufacturer has offered you a settlement. In most cases, if you accept any kind of compensation, including a refund for the item or a replacement item, you may affect your ability to collect further compensation.
The personal injury attorneys at Petrov Law Firm can help ensure that you receive the compensation you are due in the case of injury caused by a product defect. Contact us today at 619-344-0360 to learn more.Read More
If you think for one second that an insurance company you have a claim against isn’t browsing your public social media profiles – guess again! What are they looking for? Here are some social media mistakes to avoid that can hurt the value of your personal injury settlement.
What Social Media Posts an Insurance Company Hopes to See
When an insurance company is browsing your social media profiles, the goal is to find something they can use to force you to take a smaller settlement. Let’s look at a few hypothetical examples of how this might work.
- Evidence of a Faked Injury – If you are on crutches or wearing a neck brace in the courtroom but not in all of your social media pictures, opposing counsel may try to use this as evidence that your injury is being faked. Don’t think you can get away with it simply by making all of your accounts private. A judge may require that you turn your account names and passwords over to the insurance company as evidence.
- Evidence of a Less Severe Injury – You may claim that your injury is keeping you from being able to work, but what if you have pictures out partying, playing sports, or enjoying a vacation that flies in the face of how injured you claim to be? It will be tough to explain to a judge that you were able to play ball for an hour just because you were feeling good on that one particular day. It’s better to sit out until the case is settled, and certainly don’t post pics if you do anything that might make you seem healthier than you are.
Avoiding Damaging Social Media Mistakes During a Personal Injury Case
If you have suffered a personal injury, seek the assistance of the attorneys at Petrov Law Firm. We can help you to avoid making critical errors that might get your claim denied or a settlement cut. To maximize your claim and receive the monetary damages you deserve, call 619-344-0360 right away.Read More
There are many weather conditions that can make driving more dangerous. In such situations, it is vital to alter your driving habits to be safe. You can’t account for how other drivers will deal with the weather, so this is definitely a situation that calls for defensive driving. Here are a few tips to help you arrive safely.
How to Drive Safely in Various Weather Conditions
What are some weather conditions that affect driving? Here are a few situations to be aware of:
- Snow – Snow decreases visibility, can make it tough to see where the road is and makes it more difficult to stop. To increase safety, try to avoid driving on roads that are covered with snow if at all possible. Be sure to clear off your car completely before leaving home. That includes the hood so that snow doesn’t fly up onto your windshield while driving. Clearing the roof of the car will help protect the drivers behind you.
- Ice – Icy road conditions are extremely dangerous and usually call for canceling your plans and staying home. If you have to drive during icy conditions, drive slow, leave plenty of extra room between you and other cars, and always assume other people won’t be able to brake properly.
- Fog – In foggy conditions, you need to slow down because you can’t see far enough ahead to know if the road is clear and safe. You also need to leave more room between you and the car in front of you. If the driver in front of you comes across an obstruction in the road and slams on the breaks, you need enough room to stop.
- Heavy Rain – Rainfall can make it so difficult to see that pulling off to the side of the road until the rain slows down may become a necessity. It can be inconvenient to wait out a storm while traveling, but it’s far less inconvenient than an accident.
If You Have Been in an Accident Where Weather Is a Factor
If you are in an accident in bad weather, an insurance company may decide it is no one’s fault and want to pay out the minimum that it can. If you were driving safely and the other driver was at fault for not adjusting to road conditions, you should be entitled to additional compensation. Petrov Law Firm can help you maximize compensation. Call us today at 619-344-0360 to speak with an experienced personal injury attorney.Read More
In 2006, about 27,000 people sought emergency room care for dog bites. In 2015, that number was up to 39,000, a shocking increase of 44%. In that same time period, the number of people seeking treatment for dog bites who had to be admitted for care increased from 800 to 1,400 – a 75% increase. Not only are dog bites an increasingly common problem in California, but it seems the severity of the attacks has grown worse as well.
California Dog Bite Statistics
One of the reasons dog bites are becoming a bigger issue in the state is the trend toward getting larger dogs. Pit bulls and pit bull mixes are far more likely to bite and do damage than many of the smaller breeds of dog.
The age groups that are most at risk are the very young and the very old. In fact, about one-quarter of dog attack deaths in the state involve children under the age of 10. The most common age group for dog bites is 5 to 9, and the second most common age range is 0 to 4. This should impress upon parents and dog owners of the need to be careful when it comes to having children near a dog.
Getting Help After a Dog Bite
Medical attention is vital after being bit by any type of animal. Unfortunately, medical bills resulting from a dog attack can reach into the thousands or even tens of thousands of dollars. In many cases, liability may be on the part of the owner. After receiving any emergency medical care that is needed, your next call should be to Petrov Law Firm. Our personal injury attorneys can help you to determine if you are deserving of compensation. Call 619-344-0360 to get a free consultation.Read More
Personal injury attorney blogs are always telling people what to do after they have been injured in an accident, but what should you do if you don’t notice any immediate injuries? First of all, remember that some of the body’s physiological responses to trauma can mask an injury, so here are a few things you can do to make sure you are covered in case an injury surfaces later on.
Seek Medical Care
Why go to the doctor or emergency room if you are not hurt? The doctor may be able to spot a sign of injury that you are not aware of, perhaps due to being in a state of shock. If you decide not to go to the doctor initially, see one immediately if you experience stiffness, pain, nausea, headaches, or dizziness.
Document Your Experiences and Expenses
Keep track of any physical or emotional experiences that occur in the days or weeks following the accident. Keep good records of any bills for repairs, medical visits, etc. Also, keep track of missed days from work.
Don’t Sign Anything
Either your insurance or the other driver’s insurance company may try to offer you money in exchange for signing away your right to get further reimbursement. Even if the offer seems fair, it may not cover all repairs and medical bills. Wait until you are sure there is no further injury that may arise weeks or months later. And always have an attorney look at a settlement before agreeing to it.
Getting Help from a Personal Injury Lawyer
The personal injury lawyers at Petrov Law Firm are ready to help you receive all of the damages you are due, whether that means getting a better settlement from an insurance company or going with you to court. Get our experienced attorneys in your corner by calling 619-344-0360 today.Read More
When a person is injured, there can be many financial ramifications. Medical bills can mount quickly. Missed work leads to lost income and the potential loss of a job. There can also be emotional suffering involved, especially if the injury will have long-term effects.
Of course, not every injury is someone’s fault and not every victim has a case that allows for legal damages. So how do you know whether or not to hire a personal injury lawyer?
When It’s Time to Hire an Attorney
California sees a couple of million injuries per year that are bad enough to warrant medical attention. Here are several reasons that an injured person may decide to hire a lawyer:
- Another person was negligent
- Significant medical bills have accumulated
- The injury is serious
- The victim has missed work or can no longer work
- Some else’s insurance company is involved
- An insurance company is refusing to pay
- An insurance company is offering a settlement (especially if the amount is clearly too low)
Filing a Personal Injury Suit
In the state of California, you have to file a suit within two years of the injury occurring. That means acquiring a personal injury lawyer as soon as possible is important to give your lawyer the maximum amount of time to acquire the damages you are owed.
Petrov Law Firm has the experienced personal injury attorneys that you want on your side to help ensure you receive the full compensation that you deserve for your injuries. Contact us today by calling 619-344-0360.Read More
New Year’s often means celebrations that last late into the night. Unfortunately, this translates into January first being one of the deadliest days on the road every year. This is especially so because of the number of drunk drivers.
Several years ago, a study was conducted that showed that the average number of fatalities due to drunk drivers on a given day is 36. However, on New Year’s Day that number spikes to 54. It also increases during a number of other holidays such as St. Patrick’s Day and Christmas.
Pedestrians Also in Danger on New Year’s
New Year’s Day isn’t just dangerous for drivers. No day sees more pedestrian deaths than January 1st—not even Halloween, another holiday where pedestrian fatalities rise drastically.
If a drunk driver turns your celebration into a tragedy, what can you do?
Seeking Compensation for Wrongful Death in an Intoxicated Driver Case
One might think that getting compensation is an open and shut case when someone is killed by a drunk driver. However, you should always seek legal representation by an experienced and compassionate personal injury lawyer.
Insurance companies often seek to settle quickly and for a fraction of what a grieving family should receive. The wrongful death attorneys at Petrov Law Firm can help you to get what you really deserve. We offer free consultations, so you don’t have to worry about getting a bill just to see if you are entitled to damages.
If you have tragically lost a loved one to a drunk driver, please call 619-344-0360 today.Read More
Injuries and fatalities are common when a commercial truck is in an accident with other drivers. This occurred twice during the first four days of December in the state of California, resulting in a total of 3 deaths. Our hearts go out to those who have lost loved ones.
What does the state of California require in order to reduce the number of truck accidents?
3 Important Regulations Regarding Truck Drivers in California
- A CDL is required – That means no one should be behind the wheel of a large commercial vehicle unless he or she is properly trained and licensed.
- Convictions can result in suspension – We’re not just talking about things like a DUI while working. Drivers can lose their CDL even if they commit certain infractions while driving a personal vehicle while off the clock.
- Time limits – To keep drivers from being behind the wheel while drowsy, there are both state and federal regulations regarding how much time a driver can spend behind the wheel.
If a driver is injured in an accident with a truck, especially if the truck driver has violated any of the regulations noted above, compensation may be due to the injured parties.
Seeking Compensation After an Accident with a Commercial Truck Driver
If you have been injured in an accident with a truck driver, call the personal injury attorneys at the Petrov Law Firm. We work with a team of medical professionals to make sure that accident victims receive the proper medical care and are able to recover lost wages and compensation for pain and suffering. Dial 619-344-0360 to get started today.Read More