When a person suffers a slip and fall injury, a settlement usually takes place. However, there are a few things to keep in mind before signing a settlement agreement and before rejecting one. Here are two important things to remember.
- You only get one shot. Once you sign the settlement agreement, it will protect the defendant from further lawsuits. So to be sure you are getting the full compensation you deserve, you should seek the assistance of a personal injury attorney before signing anything. Many people try to reach a settlement themselves to avoid paying out a cut to an attorney, but the amount they get shortchanged would have more than paid the legal fees.
- You only have two years to file suit in a slip and fall case in California. That means you need to hire an attorney right away in case things do go to court. Once those two years are up, all settlements will be off the table because opposing counsel will know that you can no longer sue, no matter how serious your injuries were.
The Help You Need for a Slip and Fall Accident in Southern California
If you have suffered a slip and fall injury in the Chula Vista or San Diego areas, contact Petrov Law Firm today at 619-344-0360. Our experienced personal injury attorneys can help you to maximize your settlement and keep you from missing out on receiving compensation due to allowing the statue of limitations to lapse.Read More
Sometimes a client calls to let us know they would like to open a suit since they fell in a store. While the store owner may be at fault for the injury and the client may be due compensation, this is not always the case. There are certain factors that we will go over with the client to help you understand how personal injury suits work. Here are a few things you need to know:
- The store owner is not responsible for your safety. They are only required by law to provide reasonable care. In other words, an injury in a store is not automatically the owner’s fault.
- Negligence can be proven if the store was not properly inspected a reasonable amount of time before the injury took place. Here’s an example. Let’s say someone breaks a pickle jar in a grocery store. Three minutes later, you slip on the pickling liquid and fall. It’s not really reasonable to expect the store to notice the spill and clean it that quickly. But if it sat there for three hours, you have a much better case for negligence.
- You need facts, not guesses. If you slipped but are not sure what you slipped on, it will be tough to prove it was the store’s fault. They may be able to claim you fell on your own. If you slipped on soapy mop water or tripped over a part of the rug that was frayed, now you know exactly what led to the fall, and it can be traced back to the store.
Help for Your Slip and Fall Accident Case in California
As you can see, it is important to have experienced personal injury attorneys in your corner when you are dealing with a slip and fall case in California. The experienced lawyers at Petrov Law Firm will be happy to help you see if you have a case and to assist you to maximize your settlement. To learn more, call 619-344-0360 today.Read More
When you slip and fall, the first thing you need to do is get the proper medical attention. But while you are waiting for help to arrive and after you have seen a medical professional, here are a few things to think about.
- Document the Conditions – If you slipped on a wet floor with no sign or an obscured wet floor sign, use your smartphone camera to document the conditions. Or maybe you tripped because a sidewalk was not properly maintained or carpeting was worn and rippling. Whatever the cause of the fall, makes sure you can show what the conditions were like.
- Proving Negligence – Once again, this goes back to documenting the conditions. If you had reported the dangerous condition on a previous visit, note when it happened so you can show that there was plenty of time to fix the problem. Take pictures of the current situation so you can show why you didn’t notice the danger today.
- Report the Accident – Report it at the scene of the injury. Report it to the medical professional who tends to your injuries. And be sure to report it to a personal injury lawyer who can help you to build your case.
San Diego’s Personal Injury Attorneys
If you live in the state of California and have experienced a personal injury due to a slip and fall, bring your case to Petrov Law Firm. We can help you to determine if you have a viable case and what losses you can try to gain compensation for. Call 619-344-0360 to get started today.Read More
If you have been injured in a slip and fall accident, you may want to seek compensation for medical bills and other losses. What do you need in order to prove that the injury was the fault of the property owner? Here are three ways to pin an injury on the owner of the property where the slip and fall occurred:
- The property owner or an employee created the conditions that led to the slip and fall accident. For example, if you fell due to a spill, was the spill caused by the owner or one of the owner’s employee’s. If you caused the spill or another guest of the property, the owner might not be at fault.
- The property owner or an employee knew the dangerous circumstances existed but chose not to act. In other words, was there time for the owner or employee to do something about it? If another customer spills something right in front of you and you immediately slip, there was nothing the establishment could have done. If a customer spilled something and an employee walked by, shrugged, and went on break, now the burden may be on the company.
- The dangerous situation is something the property owner or a representative should have known about. For example, if the carpet of a building is clearly uneven due to wear and tear and appears to have been like that for years, it would be tough to make the claim that they didn’t know, even if they only set foot on the property on rare occasions.
Help with Your Slip and Fall Claim in San Diego, California
If you have suffered an injury in a slip and fall accident near San Diego or Chula Vista, contact the personal injury attorneys at Petrov Law Firm. Our experienced team can help you to see if you have a valid case and will fight for you to get the settlement you deserve. Call 619-344-0360 today to get started.Read More