There is nothing more tragic than losing a loved one prematurely due to someone else’s negligence. We’re going to list 6 broad categories of circumstances that constitute wrongful death. If your family has faced one of these situations, you need to find a compassionate lawyer to help you through this difficult time.
- Medical malpractice – Doctors and their staff need to perform the right medical procedures and provide the proper doses of medication to avoid culpability in a patient’s death.
- Auto accidents – Whether the other driver was under the influence of something, driving recklessly, or just plain negligent in driving practices or in maintaining the vehicle, it may qualify as wrongful
- Transportation accidents – Cars are not the only place where a wrongful death can occur. The same holds true when a person travels via plane, train, or bus.
- Product defects – Whether there is something wrong with the product itself or the instructions on how to use it safely, this may qualify as wrongful
- Failure to properly train employees – If an employee is killed on the job because he or she received insufficient safety training regarding a foreseeable danger, the incident may have been preventable.
- Unsafe roadways – Road hazards happen, but what if the hazard is fixable and has been in place for weeks or even months with no warning to drivers. This may qualify as a wrongful death case as well.
Legal Assistance When You Need It Most
If your family is dealing with a tragedy due to one of the circumstances noted above, contact Petrov Law Firm. We provide the compassionate legal assistance that families in Southern California need when calamity strikes. Call 619-344-0360 to speak to someone about your circumstances today.Read More
The CDC used 2013 figures to illustrate just how much fatal car accidents cost California residents every year. We’re not talking about the emotional toll that these deaths take on families. These numbers strictly represent the financial toll. The figures may prove shocking to you.
- $38 Million – This represents the medical costs left behind by patients who died in car accidents in the state of California in 2013 alone.
- $4.44 Billion – This staggering number is the amount of work loss costs incurred by these accidental deaths. Take, for example, the husband, father, and businessman who doesn’t make it home from work one evening. His family has lost perhaps decades of his income.
Of course, there is no way to calculate the impact of such tragedies in mere numbers. That’s why wrongful death plaintiffs often receive more than just medical compensation and compensation for loss of future income. Pain and suffering, as well as emotional losses, also need to be considered, and that can lead to settlements that provide well for a family during the long time of emotional healing that needs to take place following such a catastrophe.
Compassionate Lawyers for Your Wrongful Death Case in California
Petrov Law Firm has the compassionate lawyers that you want on your side during a wrongful death suit. Please remember though that time is of the essence when you have a case like this. As a result, we encourage you not to delay in calling our San Diego office at 619-344-0360.Read More
Recent research reveals that sitting at a desk is not as safe as most people think. However, there are still plenty of jobs that pose more immediate threats. Here are five of the most dangerous jobs. Did yours make the list?
- Police Officer – An officer of the law is putting his or her life on the line to protect others. That is certainly a commendable career option. Unfortunately, it also means dangers that don’t necessarily end when an officer’s shift is over. You always need to be cognizant of your surroundings to ensure that the job isn’t trying to follow you home.
- Lumberjack – Logging is one of the most dangerous jobs around. One wrong move can end a life quickly in a field that involves high-powered equipment and an extremely heavy product. Long hours add fatigue to the list of dangers.
- Construction Worker – Not only is safety equipment vital for workers in this industry, but you run the full risk of injuries due to the elements from frostbite in the dead of winter to the risk of heatstroke in summer.
- Mechanic – The list of dangers in this workplace environment can’t be understated. From noxious chemicals to dangerous tools, a mechanic’s shop is no place for an untrained individual. Even professionals can quickly come to harm if you let your guard down.
- Metalworker – Welders and other metalworkers are dealing with intense heat, bright lights, sharp metallic edges, and more. From an equipment malfunction to a mistake in safety protocol, this profession can go from zero to deadly in an instant.
Personal Injury Attorneys San Diego Workers Can Trust
If you have been injured working in a dangerous job, the fault may be due to negligence or lack of safety training by an employer. To learn if you are eligible for compensation, contact the personal injury professionals at Petrov Law Firm. California residents can call 619-344-0360 to schedule a consultation.Read More
The state of California has heavy penalties in place for DUI offenders. These laws are in place to discourage drivers from getting behind the wheel while intoxicated. A drunk driver can destroy lives in an instant. Despite these penalties, many injuries are still sustained each year due to driving while intoxicated. Here is a list of some of the penalties in place in the state of California.
The minimum penalty for a first-time offender (assuming no one is hurt or killed) includes:
- $1,800 in fines and assessments
- 2 days in jail or 3 months with a restricted license (only driving back and forth to work or treatment is allowed)
- 3 to 9 months of mandatory treatment (depending on BAC) which costs about $500
- Loss of license for 30 days (the restricted license begins after this period)
These penalties quickly escalate for second and third-time offenders. However, if someone is hurt or dies as a result of the DUI, penalties may include a felony that will result in prison time. Depending on whether the person was a previous offender, the minimum sentence will be somewhere between one and five years.
If You or a Loved One Has Become the Victim of a Drunk Driver
If you have been hurt or have tragically lost a loved one due to someone driving under the influence, you deserve to be compensated for all of your losses. This can include lost future wages, medical costs, pain and suffering, and more. The compassionate lawyers at Petrov Law Firm can help you to handle these sensitive matters when you may not mentally be in a position to seek a reasonable settlement yourself. Let us help you start to put the pieces back together. In many wrongful death cases, we only get paid if we win for you. Just call 619-344-0360 for help in the state of California.Read More
Effective the first of the year in 2016, California introduced a deed that can automatically transfer property upon a person’s death. While this may seem advantageous as opposed to hiring a lawyer for estate planning purposes, there are several extreme flaws in the law. Here’s what you need to know before preparing a TOD Deed.
Why a Transfer on Death Deed Isn’t Foolproof
There are two major reasons that the Transfer on Death laws don’t provide as much benefit as trusts and other forms of estate planning.
- You Cannot Set the Transfer Conditions – With a trust, you can set the age at which a benefactor inherits the property. You can also have a contingency plan for inheritance should the primary benefactor die before or at the same time as you. When it comes to a deed, there are no additional conditions. The property simply passes to the named person when the deedholder dies.
- The “Restitution Demand” Clause – An estate representative can demand the return of a property within a set period of time from the death of the owner – 3 years. This could leave the Transfer on Death recipient homeless. Or if the property has already been sold, the beneficiary would have to pay back the value of the home, perhaps even more than it was sold for. This gives the executor of the estate true power over the property for the first 3 years.
A Better Way to Avoid Probate when Leaving Property to Heirs
Setting up a trust is a far superior way to leave property to heirs without having to worry about probate. While estate planning with an attorney may cost more than getting a Transfer on Death Deed issued, the benefits far outweigh any inconvenience. To take advantage of affordable estate planning with an experienced attorney, contact Petrov Law Firm today at 619-344-0360.Read More
Perhaps you were shopping at the convenience store, checking into a motel, or simply using the ATM, and you and the business were robbed. Your routine activity became part of a criminal act. Generally, the hold-up is over as quickly as it began. Suddenly, you’re lying on the floor, your wallet is gone, and the criminals are speeding away in car.
If you’ve been the victim of a crime like this, you know the aftermath continues for years. Nightmares, paranoia, and agoraphobia are just few of the symptoms you suffer. But who is responsible for helping you with these post-trauma symptoms?
No business can guarantee that a crime won’t occur on its premise. However, businesses have a responsibility to their employees and clients to enact reasonable crime-prevention methods to deter criminals. Working cameras, proper lighting, and internal cash-handling procedures can reduce the likelihood of crime significantly.
Just as in a physical injury (slip and fall) that happens on a commercial property, businesses are responsible for the emotional distress from a hold-up or robbery. You might be eligible for recouping the cost of psychological treatment, anxiety medications, and lost wages.
You might (or might not) receive a letter from the business or its insurance company indicating how much time you have to submit a claim. A personal injury attorney will be able to investigate the company’s insurance policy to see if your losses and costs are already listed as covered expenses.
You are the victim of a preventable crime. Make sure to hold the business responsible for keeping you safe.Read More