Were you or a loved one injured in an accident in Oceanside? The Oceanside personal injury lawyers with Petrov Law Firm are here to help. We offer a free consultation and can be reached anytime at (619) 344-0360.
Our law firm was established in 2012 – since then, we’ve recovered more than $40 million for deserving personal injury clients. The attorneys at Petrov Law Firm have more than 20 years of combined experience handling cases ranging from car accidents to slips and falls to wrongful death.
You probably have a lot to deal with after suffering a personal injury. Let us help you with your case for compensation so that you can rest and recover. We’ll do everything we can to maximize the value of your claim, and we’ll stand up for you throughout the life of your case.
We offer a free consultation to go over your situation. Call us today or contact our law office online for help, and let’s get started.
Why Should I Hire Petrov Law Firm To Handle My Oceanside Personal Injury Case?
Choosing Petrov Law Firm is one of the best decisions you can make. You’ll be putting a highly experienced, highly qualified team at your disposal. Our results speak for themselves, we’ve collected more than $40 million for our clients.
When you have a personal injury lawyer from Petrov Law Firm by your side, you can rest assured that you’ll be treated like family from start to finish. You won’t be “just another client” to us, and your case will be given the personalized attention it deserves. Insurance companies won’t be able to get away with trying to take advantage of you.
We understand that after an accident, you might not be in the strongest financial position. That’s why we work on a contingency fee basis. You’ll pay nothing upfront for our legal services and we only make money when you do. We’re incentivized to make your financial award as lucrative as possible.
If you would like more information on how we can help you, please feel free to reach out today. We offer a free consultation to go over your case and can answer any questions that you might have. We look forward to hearing from you.
We Handle All Personal Injury Cases in Oceanside, CA
Petrov Law Firm has handled all sorts of personal injury matters since our founding in 2012. Some of these practice areas are:
Car accidents occur far too often across Southern California. They vary widely in terms of severity, but in many situations they’re preventable.
Don’t let the careless driver get away with causing you harm. Instead, let an experienced Oceanside car accident lawyer from Petrov Law Firm, go to bat for you.
Since California is one of the most popular locales to own a motorcycle, it’s probably not surprising to hear that motorcycle accidents are relatively frequent. Unfortunately, motorcycle accidents can be especially catastrophic, considering their lack of protection.
Our Oceanside motorcycle accident attorneys at Petrov Law Firm will make sure your interests are represented after a motorcycle accident.
The sheer weight and size of a big-rig truck means that when one is involved in an accident, the consequences are usually quite serious. Most truck accident claims involve at least one insurance company and possibly numerous other parties, such as the trucking company itself.
Our Oceanside truck accident lawyers know how to successfully win complex cases like these.
With its year-round weather, California is a great place to ride a bicycle. Of course, you’re much more vulnerable to get injured when you’re on a bicycle than you would be with a more robust vehicle.
That said, it’s even more important to have adequate legal representation from an Oceanside bicycle accident lawyer when you are involved in a bicycle accident, as the compensation at stake could be that much more valuable.
Slip and Fall Accidents
Slip and fall accidents are prevalent throughout the country, and Oceanside is no exception. If you’ve recently suffered an injury, call our Oceanside slip and fall accident lawyers for help.
We know what it takes to hold those responsible liable for your damages.
The death of a loved one is one of the most painful situations anyone can experience. It’s even more difficult when that death didn’t have to happen.
Don’t let the negligent party get away with their actions. Instead, have an Oceanside wrongful death attorney on your side to fight back.
Other Practice Areas
- Boating accidents
- Dog bites
- Uber and Lyft accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Premises liability
- Medical malpractice
- Nursing home abuse
- Product liability
- And more
Reach out to us for help with your case. We offer a free initial consultation to discuss your options.
What are Common Causes of Personal Injury in Oceanside?
A number of circumstances can lead to a personal injury case, which can arise after an accident or injury.
Some causes are:
- Car accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Truck accidents
- Slip and falls
- Medical malpractice
- Brain injuries
- Catastrophic injuries
- Dog bites
- Product defects
- Wrongful death
Contact us to discover whether you have a personal injury case after your accident.
Do I Have a Personal Injury Case?
Did you suffer some sort of harm, and was it caused by someone else? If so, there’s a good chance you have a personal injury case.
Most are based on the concept of negligence, which essentially refers to the same thing as “carelessness.” You’ll have to prove that the other side is liable, but you won’t have to prove their intent.
Here are a few example scenarios:
- A driver runs a red light and crashes into your car.
- You slip and fall, hurting yourself after stepping on a wet spot at a local store.
- A family member of yours passes away after they are involved in a motorcycle accident.
Contact us as soon as you can if you’re not sure whether you have a personal injury case.
What are Common Types of Personal Injuries in Oceanside?
Our attorneys in Oceanside cover a wide range of personal injuries, from small to severe. Here are some types of injuries that might result in a claim:
- Back injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Broken bones
- Chest injuries
- Concussion injuries
- Crushing injuries
- Eye injuries
- Herniated discs
- Knee injuries
- Nerve damage
- Soft tissue injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
What Factors Can Affect the Value of My Personal Injury Settlement?
Several aspects can determine the amount of money you recover. Here are some of the most consequential:
- The most significant consideration is the severity of your injuries. Serious injuries require extensive medical treatment and rehabilitation, often resulting in steep medical expenses and missed time from work (loss of income). Serious injuries often result in pain and suffering that can last weeks or months. They also impact your quality of life, another factor to evaluate when calculating the value of your claim.
- Whether you share fault for contributing to your accident is another factor that will dictate the value of your case. Under California’s pure comparative fault rule, your compensation will be reduced by your percentage of the blame. So if you share 40% blame for causing the accident, you can only take home 60% of your financial recovery.
- The strength of your evidence and ability to prove causation, liability, and the extent of your damages is also a key factor. You may think you have a strong case, but if you don’t have enough to prove the elements, you’ll have difficulty recovering fair compensation.
Many other things can influence how much you can obtain, depending on the facts and circumstances.
What is Negligence and How Do I Prove It?
It is the basis of most personal injury claims. If someone’s conduct fell short of what a reasonable person would’ve done under the same situation (and caused you harm), they’re likely negligent.
There are four elements:
- The other party owed you a duty of care, which is the requirement to act with reasonable caution to avoid harming others. Drivers have a duty to pay attention and follow traffic laws, for example.
- The other party breached their duty of care.
- The breach of duty directly caused your injuries (causation).
- You suffered damages in the form of financial or emotional.
You must prove every element to win. To prove them, you must show that the defendant failed to act reasonably and caused you to sustain injuries. You do this by gathering evidence to prove your case.
What you’ll need will depend on the type of case you have, but here are a few examples:
- Accident reports
- Police reports
- Eyewitness statements and testimony
- Medical records
- Photos and videos of the accident scene and your injuries
- Surveillance footage
- Dash cam footage
- Employment records
- Expert witness testimony
- Physical proof from the accident scene
You must prove your case by a preponderance of the evidence, meaning it’s more likely than not that your claim is valid.
What Damages Are Available?
Oceanside accident people may be entitled to compensation for their financial (economic damages) and personal losses (non-economic damages) caused by an at-fault party’s carelessness.
Economic damages cover the monetary losses incurred due to your injuries, such as:
Non-economic damages cover the personal losses that are more difficult to value, such as:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional trauma
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Loss of enjoyment of life
The court may award punitive damages if you can show by clear and convincing proof that the defendant acted with malice, oppression, or fraud in causing your injury. These damages are granted to punish a defendant for egregious behavior and set an example.
Why Should I Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer?
Hiring a personal injury lawyer in Oceanside is an essential step toward maximizing your financial award after an accident.
A few reasons why this is the case include:
- You will level the playing field. Most cases involve a powerful insurance company at the minimum. Personal injury lawyers negotiate with these sorts of organizations on a daily basis and can ensure your rights are protected.
- Lawyers can work with experts. Attorneys have access to expert witnesses who can testify on your behalf if your case reaches trial.
- You could be blamed. The other side will probably try to blame you for the accident. Hiring a personal injury lawyer means you’ll have an advocate who can fight back for you.
- You deserve time to rest. An attorney pursues your claim for compensation while you get better from your injury.
The lawyers at Petrov Law Firm are more than willing to bring your case to court – and all the way to trial – if the other side is not willing to reach an appropriate settlement. Call for more information on how we can help with your case.
How Much Is My Personal Injury Case Worth?
Because every personal injury case involves a different set of facts, it is not feasible to assign a value to a case before considering its specific conditions. However, there are still factors that tend to influence the value of most of them.
- How serious your injuries are
- The types of injuries you’ve suffered
- How much evidence there is to support your case
- Whether you’ve suffered any sort of emotional or mental distress
- Each party’s insurance policy
This list is far from complete. We would be more than happy to give you a more personalized response to the value of your case during your free consultation.
How Much Does a Personal Injury Lawyer in Oceanside Cost?
Most California personal injury lawyers work on a contingency fee basis, meaning you owe nothing unless they win your case. This arrangement allows you to have a lawyer without worrying about upfront costs – which is particularly beneficial when you’re dealing with medical bills and loss of wages.
If the lawyer wins your case, you will pay them a pre-agreed-upon percentage (usually between 33-40%) of your settlement or verdict. Most personal injury attorneys also offer a free initial case evaluation, so there’s no obligation to reach out for help.
Contact us to learn more about our contingency fee arrangement.
What is the Personal Injury Claims Process?
All of them are different, but the course of action typically takes a predictable form. It begins when you initiate a claim with the appropriate insurance company.
Here are the general steps:
- Initial Consultation: Schedule a free consultation with a personal injury lawyer to discuss your accident, injuries, and legal options.
- Hire an Attorney: Your attorney will develop a case strategy tailored to the facts of your case and send letters to the insurance company.
- Accident Investigation: Your lawyer will investigate your accident. They’ll gather evidence, such as police reports, medical records, videos, and photos.
- Medical Care: Your attorney will ensure that you get the treatment you require. You need to reach maximum medical improvement before starting the negotiation phase.
- Calculation of Damages: Your attorney will calculate the full extent of them, including medical expenses, lost wages, pain, suffering, out-of-pocket costs, and more.
- Negotiating a Settlement: Your attorney will send a settlement demand letter to the insurance company outlining legal arguments, your injuries, and your damages. This starts the negotiation phase, which will likely entail offers and counteroffers until a settlement agreement is achieved.
- Litigation: If an agreement cannot be settled, your attorney will litigate the matter in court.
Call us to learn more about this topic and what you can expect from our firm.
Do I Have to Go to the Doctor After an Accident?
You should always seek medical attention after an accident — even if you feel fine. You may have injuries that have not presented symptoms yet. Doctors can discover these injuries and treat them before they cause more serious harm.
Seeking medical attention provides you with confirmation that the accident caused your injuries. It will also give you proof after the accident. If you fail to do it, an insurer may accuse you of failing to mitigate damages. They may say your damages would not have been as serious but for your failure to obtain prompt care.
That’s why it’s critical to go to a doctor immediately after your accident.
What Mistakes Personal Injury Victims Should Avoid During the Claims Process?
Victims – especially those who don’t have legal representation – often make mistakes that negatively impact their claims.
Here are some of the most frequent errors people make:
- Failing to get prompt medical treatment: It’s crucial to see a doctor immediately after an accident, even if you think the injuries are minor. Some injuries don’t present symptoms right away, so you should get checked out to see if there are any latent issues. Otherwise, the insurance company can protest the accident didn’t cause your harm.
- Failing to account for all losses: Many people are unaware of what they can pursue. Accordingly, they inadvertently undervalue their claim. It’s important to understand the types of damages available.
- Engaging in negotiations too early: You shouldn’t even consider a settlement until you’ve reached the MMI and calculated all that you lost. Otherwise, you risk accepting a lowball offer that doesn’t account for everything you need and deserve.
- Providing written or recorded statements: Insurance adjusters often request a recorded statement. Don’t agree to do this. Tell them to contact your attorney for all future correspondence.
- Accepting fault for the accident: Never accept any blame for the accident, even if you believe you share blame. You can’t know what actually happened until a deep inspection is completed. As soon as you apologize or indicate in any way that you are responsible, an insurance adjuster will use your statements against you to reduce your claim.
- Posting on social media: Insurance adjusters will monitor your social media presence to see if you post anything that could hurt your case. Refrain from discussing your accident, checking in, or posting videos or photos until your case has concluded.
Of course, the best way to avoid these and other costly mistakes is by hiring an attorney.
Can I Still Recover Compensation If I Share Fault for an Accident in California?
California is a pure comparative negligence state, meaning you can recover compensation only if you aren’t 100% responsible for an accident. However, your financial award will be reduced by your level of fault.
For example, you are assigned 70% of the blame for causing a car accident. In that case, you’ll only be entitled to obtain 30% of your settlement or verdict. If the jury awarded you $100,000, you could only take home $30,000.
Insurance companies often use comparative fault to minimize their financial liability. A personal injury lawyer in Oceanside will protect you from these and other tactics.
How Long Do I Have to File a Lawsuit After an Accident in California?
You have limited time to file a lawsuit after an accident in California. California’s statute of limitations typically gives you two years from the accident date to file a personal injury lawsuit. If you lost a loved one due to another person’s actions, you must file a wrongful death claim within that period of time from the date of death.
Exceptions may apply in certain situations, such as medical malpractice cases. If you miss the deadline that applies to your case, you’ll lose the right to recover compensation from the at-fault party.
Call us for help today. If we need to file a lawsuit, we’ll ensure that you meet the statutory deadline.
Contact Our Experienced Oceanside Personal Injury Lawyers For Legal Help
Our Oceanside personal injury lawyers at Petrov Law Firm want to help you after your accident. We will use our winning strategies and experience to guide you through the personal injury procedure. At the same time, we will offer you compassionate service and personalized attention.
Contact us online or by phone today for a free consultation with a personal injury attorney.