Did you or a loved one sustain a brain injury in Vista, CA? Brain damage can change your life in dramatic and permanent ways. Call (619) 344-0360 to contact an experienced Vista brain injury lawyer at Petrov Personal Injury Lawyers to help you fight to recover fair compensation for medical bills, lost wages, and your pain and suffering.
We’ve been working hard to recover meaningful compensation awards for accident victims since we opened our doors in 2012. Over the years, we’ve recovered over $40 million for injured clients across Southern California.
You can count on us to fight for your family. Contact our law offices in Vista, California to schedule a free consultation and learn more about your legal rights today.
How Petrov Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help With a Brain Injury Claim in Vista, CA
You’re probably dealing with a lot of uncertainty if you or a family member have suffered a brain injury. It can take time to understand how the injury will impact your life. In the meantime, let our experienced Vista personal injury lawyers fight to hold the responsible parties accountable.
Our lawyers at Petrov Personal Injury Lawyers have over 20 years of combined experience. In that time, we’ve earned a reputation for helping our clients recover the fair compensation they need.
Hiring us means you’ll gain a lawyer to:
- Provide legal advice and guidance throughout the entire recovery process
- Investigate the circumstances of your injury
- Hire experts to help build your case
- Calculate the true value of your injury claim
- Negotiate with the insurance companies on your behalf
- Advocate for your rights in court if necessary
Insurance companies are often more interested in maximizing their own profits than providing fair compensation. Our Vista personal injury attorneys can help you fight for what’s fair. Just give us a quick call to learn more about creating an attorney-client relationship today.
Overview of Brain Injuries
Traumatic brain injuries are a type of injury caused by an external blow to the head. Brain injuries can also be caused without a traumatic force. These non-traumatic brain injuries often happen in cases involving a stroke, near-drowning, or oxygen deprivation.
Victims of brain injuries may suffer mild symptoms that resolve on their own. Other brain injury cases can leave the victim suffering from permanent disabilities. If you sustained brain damage in an accident, our Vista brain injury attorneys are here to help.
What Are Some Common Types of Brain Injuries?
Brain injuries are initially classified based on whether the skull was penetrated. Brain injuries can be closed or open.
Closed head injuries are caused by the rapid movement of the brain within the skull. When the brain hits the skull bone, it can be bruised or torn – causing significant damage to the brain tissue. Open head injuries, on the other hand, happen when an external object penetrates the skull.
Common types of brain injuries include:
- Brain contusions, which are bruises that can cause swelling or bleeding
- Intracranial hematomas, which often happen when a contusion doesn’t heal properly
- Diffuse axonal injuries (DAI), or injuries to both sides of the brain when the brain is twisted or rotated within the skull
- Focal injuries impacting only one area of the brain
- Brain hemorrhages, or uncontrolled bleeding in the brain
- Skull fractures
Our lawyers in Vista handle all types of brain injury cases, so call for your free initial consultation today.
How Common Are Brain Injuries?
According to the CDC, about 64,000 people in the United States died from traumatic brain injuries in 2020 alone. Over 220,000 people are hospitalized due to moderate and severe traumatic brain injuries in the U.S. each year.
However, according to recent studies, 1.1 million to 1.9 million sustain concussions each year. While concussions are a fairly mild type of TBI, they can still cause significant damage.
Traumatic brain injuries (TBI) are extremely common in the U.S. Of course, some brain injuries are much more serious than others.
Doctors use the Glasgow Coma Scale (GCS) to evaluate the severity of a brain injury, as follows:
- Mild TBI has a GCS score of 13 to 15 points
- Moderate TBI has a GCS score of 9 to 12 points
- Severe TBI has a GCS score of 3 to 8 points
What Are the Signs and Symptoms of Brain Injuries?
Brain injuries can cause widespread symptoms. Some severe injuries are fairly easy to identify, while others can be much more subtle.
After an accident, it’s important to pay attention to these signs and symptoms:
- Loss of consciousness
- Blurred vision
- Ringing in the ears
- Nausea or vomiting
- Muscle weakness or balance issues
- Memory loss
- Changes in personality or behavior
- Dilated pupils
These signs don’t always show up right away. That’s why it’s essential to seek medical care after an accident.
What Are the Long-Term Consequences of Brain Injuries?
The long-term consequences of a brain injury can vary dramatically.
The victim’s prognosis for recovery generally depends on:
- The region of the brain that was impacted
- The severity of the damage
- The type of injury involved
Serious brain injuries can cause permanent damage, including:
- Cognitive disabilities
- Changes in personality
- Memory loss
- Loss of motor function or muscle weakness
- Loss of the ability to speak or understand speech
Brain injuries can also be fatal. If you lost a loved one, our Vista brain injury attorneys can help you fight to recover damages for their wrongful death.
What Causes Most Brain Injuries?
CDC research shows that the four most common causes of brain injuries are:
- Firearm injuries
- Motor vehicle accidents
While suicide is a leading cause of TBI-related death in the U.S., most brain injuries happen because someone was negligent. That means they’re often caused by preventable accidents.
At Petrov Personal Injury Lawyers, we handle all types of brain injury claims in Vista, including those involving:
- Car accidents
- Slip and fall accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Truck accidents
- Bus accidents
- Boating accidents
- Construction accidents
- Workplace accidents
- Defective products
- Medical malpractice
- Birth injuries, including oxygen deprivation during labor and delivery
- Intentional criminal acts, assault, and violence
Sports accidents are an increasingly common cause of TBI in California. In fact, California laws now impose strict rules for youth sports organizations. They include procedures for dealing with suspected head injuries and processes for educating parents and athletes about the risk of concussions.
What is My Vista Brain Injury Case Worth?
The cost of treating a brain injury can vary widely. Before taking an insurance offer, it’s important to know how much your personal injury case is worth.
The value of a brain injury case depends heavily on the severity of the injury, considering factors such as:
- The cost of your medical treatment
- Whether you’re expected to make a full recovery or suffer from a long-term disability
- How the injury impacts your future earning prospects
- Your lost wages during recovery
- The emotional strain of the injury
- Your physical suffering
- The circumstances of the injury and nature of the responsible party’s actions
The insurance company might seem sympathetic and offer a fast settlement. They’re counting on the fact that you might not know the value of your case. Our Vista brain injury attorneys have seen complex cases like yours before. We’ll use our experience and resources to help you understand the fair value of your personal injury claim.
What Compensation Can I Recover for My Brain Injuries in Vista, California?
In a successful personal injury case, you can recover compensation for your economic damages and your non-economic damages.
Economic damages may include:
- Past medical bills
- The cost of your anticipated future medical expenses
- Rehabilitation costs
- Lost wages
- Loss of future earning capacity
- Nursing care and in-home assistance
- Speech therapy, memory care, and other specialized care
- Long-term care
You can also pursue compensation for your personal losses. Your non-economic damages are those without a clear monetary value.
Examples of non-economic damages include:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Reduced quality of life
- Loss of your independence
- Loss of consortium and damage to relationships
Our lawyers can help you get the treatment you need while we work to recover the fair compensation you deserve. Just call to schedule your free case evaluation today.
How Long Do I Have to File a Brain Injury Lawsuit in California?
California state law limits the amount of time you have to file a personal injury lawsuit. In most accident cases, the statute of limitations is two years. However, you could have more or less time depending on the circumstances of your injury.
Missing the deadline is serious. Once two years have passed, you’ll forfeit your right to sue for damages.
Contact a Vista Brain Injury Lawyer for a Free Consultation
Brain injuries can cause some of the most severe damage imaginable. Every aspect of your life can change if you sustain a serious head injury. If you were hurt due to someone else’s negligence, you deserve to be compensated. Call a Vista brain injury lawyer at Petrov Personal Injury Lawyers to learn more about your legal options today.
Our personal injury law firm in Vista, CA also provides:
- Bicycle Accident Attorney in Vista
- Car Accident Lawyer in Vista, CA
- Catastrophic Accident Lawyer in Vista
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyer in Vista, CA
- Pedestrian Accident Attorney in Vista, CA
- Premises Liability Lawyer in Vista
- Product Liability Attorney in Vista
- Slip and Fall Accident Lawyer in Vista
- Truck Accident Lawyer in Vista, CA
- Uber and Lyft Accident Lawyer in Vista
- Wrongful Death Attorney in Vista, CA
- Assault Injuries Lawyer in Vista, CA
- Aviation/Airplane Accidents Lawyer in Vista, CA
- Bus Accidents Attorney in Vista, CA
- Child Injuries Lawyer in Vista, CA
- Commercial Vehicle Accidents Lawyers in Vista, CA
- Construction Accidents Attorney in Vista, CA
- Dog Bites Attorneys in Vista, CA
- Nursing Home Abuse Lawyers in Vista, CA
- Sexual Assaults Attorney in Vista, CA
- Spinal Cord Injuries Attorneys in Vista, CA
- Taxi Accidents Lawyers in Vista, CA
- Workers’ Compensation Lawyer in Vista, CA
- Workplace Accidents Attorney in Vista, CA