Have you recently been bitten by a dog in Vista, California? You may be entitled to a substantial monetary award to cover the costs of your medical treatment. Contact the Petrov Personal Injury Lawyers for help at (619) 344-0360. Our Vista dog bite lawyers can help you seek maximum compensation from the dog’s owner and other responsible parties.
Since 2012, our award-winning North County San Diego law firm has been a fierce advocate for injury victims and families. Dedicated to getting top results for each and every client, we’ve secured well over $40 million in settlements and verdicts.
Don’t let dog owners or negligent parties off the hook for your devastating injuries. Let our dog bite attorneys hold them accountable for you. Reach out to our law office serving Vista, CA, to arrange a time for your free case evaluation.
How the Petrov Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help If You’ve Been Bitten By a Dog in Vista, CA
A dog‘s owner will do anything to defend against claims that the animal has attacked someone and caused harm. They might even try to say that you provoked the dog or are responsible for your injuries. If you want to prove your case and get the financial justice you deserve, you’ll need to be prepared to fight every step of the way.
Let our Vista personal injury lawyers take on that burden for you. We have 20+ years of experience handling complex personal injury cases and going up against the toughest adversaries. You can benefit from our extensive experience, vast knowledge of California personal injury law, and passion for helping others by calling us after your attack.
We’ll handle every aspect of your dog bite injury case from start to finish:
- Determining whether the dog has a history of aggression or has attacked others in the past
- Identify who, other than the dog’s owner, may share responsibility for your dog bite injuries and suffering
- Gather critical pieces of evidence, such as photographs, video footage of the attack, medical records, police reports, witness testimony, and violations of local safety ordinances
- Handle negotiations with the dog’s owner and insurance companies on your behalf
- Defend you against allegations that you provoked the animal or share responsibility for your injuries
- Prepare to reject lowball offers and bring your case to a jury in North County San Diego if you aren’t offered a fair settlement
Our personal injury law firm works on contingency. You pay absolutely nothing unless our San Diego dog bite lawyers win your case. No win, no fee. Guaranteed.
Don’t hesitate to reach out to our law office in Vista, California, to schedule a time for a free consultation. Our team will gladly listen to your side of the story, assess available facts and evidence, and offer some preliminary guidance regarding your legal rights and options.
Are Dog Bites Common in California?
Dog bites and attacks are incredibly common. In fact, it’s estimated that more than 800,000 people require medical attention because of a dog bite injury every year.
Not everyone who suffers a dog bite survives their injuries. In 2020, the last year for which data is available, 48 people were killed in dog bite attacks. 13 of these victims were children, Most of which were under the age of 10.
In 2019, California actually led the nation in dog bite fatalities, with nine. That year, there were a total of 48 fatal dog attacks across the United States.
California, and San Diego County, in particular, are home to its fair share of dog attacks. County Animal Services in San Diego says it handles about 6,000 dog bite cases every year.
Does California Have a One Bite Rule?
Some states say that a dog’s owner is not automatically liable for a dog bite or attack if the animal hasn’t bitten anyone in the past. This is known as a one-bite rule. Liability only attaches when the owner knew or should have known that the dog had a propensity for viciousness or has a demonstrated history of biting others.
California does not have a one-bite rule.
Instead, dog owners in San Diego are typically strictly liable for any injuries a dog inflicts, regardless of its history or past.
Strict liability means it doesn’t matter what steps or precautions a dog owner takes to protect others from potential harm. It also doesn’t matter whether the dog has bitten someone in the past or displayed vicious tendencies. As long as the victim was lawfully on the premises and didn’t provoke the animal, the owner is most likely on the hook for resulting harm after a dog bite.
Who Other Than the Dog’s Owner Can Be Liable For My Dog Bite Injuries?
Dog bite cases don’t have to be based on strict liability. Anyone whose negligence contributes to a dog attack, bite, or injury can also be financially responsible for the consequences.
Negligence involves owing another person a duty of care and failing to act reasonably under the circumstances. This behavior, in turn, is the direct and proximate cause of that other person’s injuries and damages.
In a dog bite case based on negligence, any of the following parties could potentially be liable:
- Dog owners
- Dog walkers
- Property owners
- Property management
- Government agencies
Following a dog attack, anyone responsible for the animal or ensuring your safety on the premises could be on the hook for resulting damages.
For instance, you might have a legitimate negligence claim against a dog walker or a dog’s owner if you were bitten by an unleashed dog in San Diego. San Diego County has a strict leash law, which requires animals to be on leashes no longer than 8 feet in length when out in public. Violations of these types of safety ordinances can be used as proof of negligence per se in a civil action.
What’s My Dog Bite Injury Case Worth?
The value of your dog fight injury case will ultimately depend on the types of injuries you suffer and how your life changes after the attack.
Important factors to consider include:
- The severity of the injuries
- How old you were at the time you were attacked by the dog
- Whether you will be able to work and earn an income
- The psychological and emotional toll the bite takes on you
- Your current and future out-of-pocket costs
The more significant the impact the dog bite has on your life, the more money you’ll typically be able to get. Cases involving catastrophic dog bite injuries or fatal attacks tend to be worth the most. However, every case is different.
Cases involving children can often be worth more than those involving adults. Children have their whole lives in front of them, and a dog attack’s consequences can be quite devastating. When future damages are taken into account, the value of a child dog bite case can be high.
The best way to know how much money you may be able to get after a dog bite injury in San Diego is by speaking with a personal injury attorney near you. Reach out to the Petrov Personal Injury Lawyers to arrange a time for a free consultation today.
We’ll Help You Seek Compensation For All of Your Traumatic Dog Bite Injuries
At the Petrov Personal Injury Lawyers, we represent dog bite victims who have suffered:
- Broken bones and fractures
- Trauma to the eyes and face
- Injuries to the fingers, hands, and arms
- Amputation and loss of limbs
- Traumatic brain injury
- Spinal cord injury
- Vision loss or hearing loss
- Soft tissue damage
- Crushing injury
- Internal organ damage
- Infection and complications
- Wrongful death of a family member after a fatal dog bite
Always seek medical treatment as soon as possible after suffering a dog bite injury in Vista, California. Prompt care can be the difference between a smooth road to recovery and life-threatening complications.
Additionally, getting to the hospital can help to document your trauma and provide evidence of a link between the dog attack and your injuries. This will be critical if you want to recover compensation from the dog’s owner or other liable parties.
What Damages Can I Get If I’ve Been Attacked By a Dog in Vista, California?
Economic damages make up for the financial cost of an accident, while non-economic awards account for things like pain and suffering.
Commonly awarded damages include money for:
- Medical expenses
- Reduced quality of life
- Lost wages
- Chronic pain
- Emotional distress
- Nursing care
- Loss of enjoyment of life
Punitive damages may also be awarded if there is proof that the defendant acted intentionally or displayed a conscious disregard for your safety.
What’s the Time Limit For Filing a Dog Bite Injury Claim in California?
You’ll typically have two years from the date of injury or a family member’s wrongful death to file a personal injury lawsuit in the state of California.
While there are some exceptions, they are few and far between. Missing the deadline that applies to your case means missing out on the right to demand accountability and get the money you deserve.
Schedule a Free Consultation With a Trusted Vista Dog Bite Lawyer
You may be entitled to a substantial monetary award if you have recently been injured in a dog attack in Vista, California. Contact the Petrov Personal Injury Lawyers and discover how our Vista dog bite lawyers can help you fight for maximum financial recovery.
Your first consultation is free, and our team in North County San Diego, CA, is waiting to provide the guidance you need. Give us a call or connect with us online to set up a time to speak with us today.
Our personal injury law firm in Vista, CA also provides:
- Bicycle Accident Attorney in Vista
- Brain Accident Lawyer in Vista, CA
- Car Accident Lawyer in Vista, CA
- Catastrophic Accident Lawyer in Vista
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyer in Vista, CA
- Medical Malpractice Lawyer in Vista, CA
- Pedestrian Accident Attorney in Vista, CA
- Premises Liability Lawyer in Vista
- Product Liability Attorney in Vista
- Slip and Fall Accident Lawyer in Vista
- Truck Accident Lawyer in Vista, CA
- Uber and Lyft Accident Lawyer in Vista
- Wrongful Death Attorney in Vista, CA
- Assault Injuries Lawyer in Vista, CA
- Aviation/Airplane Accidents Lawyer in Vista, CA
- Bus Accidents Attorney in Vista, CA
- Child Injuries Lawyer in Vista, CA
- Commercial Vehicle Accidents Lawyers in Vista, CA
- Construction Accidents Attorney in Vista, CA
- Nursing Home Abuse Lawyers in Vista, CA
- Sexual Assaults Attorney in Vista, CA
- Spinal Cord Injuries Attorneys in Vista, CA
- Taxi Accidents Lawyers in Vista, CA
- Workers’ Compensation Lawyer in Vista, CA
- Workplace Accidents Attorney in Vista, CA