If you or someone you love was injured after slipping and falling on someone else’s property in Carlsbad, CA, you may be entitled to compensation. Unfortunately, the insurance company won’t make the legal process easy. An experienced Carlsbad slip and fall accident lawyer at Petrov Law Firm can help you fight to recover compensation for lost wages, medical bills, and your pain and suffering.
Our lawyers have over 20 years of experience fighting for accident victims and their families. We’ve helped our injured clients across Southern California recover over $40 million since we started our legal practice.
Recovering from an injury takes time. Let our lawyers handle the legal issues. Contact our law offices in Carlsbad, California at (619) 344-0360 to schedule your free consultation today.
How Petrov Law Firm Can Help After a Slip and Fall Accident in Carlsbad
The cost of a serious injury can be high. It’s common for victims to watch expenses mount while they’ve lost their ability to work. The person responsible for causing your situation should be held liable. Our Carlsbad personal injury lawyers at Petrov Law Firm can help.
Our team includes some of the top-rated lawyers in San Diego County. We have a proven track record of helping clients like you recover meaningful financial settlements and verdicts.
When you retain our legal team, we will:
- Handle all legal issues and insurance complications in your case
- Oversee an investigation to prove why your accident happened and who was responsible
- Bring in specialists to help us analyze evidence and build your case
- Defend you when the insurer blames you for the accident
- Negotiate with the insurance companies for the fair settlement you deserve
Our goal is to help you maximize your compensation so that you can move on with your life. We offer a free initial consultation to every potential client, so reach out to learn more about our Carlsbad personal injury attorneys today.
How Common Are Slip and Fall Accidents in California?
Slips, trips and falls are a common way to sustain injuries. According to National Safety Council research, 42,114 people died in slip and fall accidents across the U.S. in 2020.
Studies show that over 1 million people visit the emergency room with slip and fall accident injuries each year. Surprisingly, 85% of all workers’ compensation claims involve employees slipping on slick floors.
Slips and falls can happen anywhere. You may have a valid claim for compensation if you slipped and fell while visiting a:
- Grocery store
- Restaurant or bar
- College or university
- School or daycare center
- Public park
- Government building
- Office building
- Sports complex
- Entertainment venue
- Nursing home
- Parking lots and garages
Do you have questions about filing a personal injury lawsuit after a fall accident? Call to learn more about your legal rights today.
How Much is My Carlsbad Slip and Fall Accident Case Worth?
Various factors can influence the value of your personal injury case, including:
- The severity of your injuries
- The cost and duration of your medical care
- The value of your lost wages if you miss time at work during recovery
- How the injury will impact your future earnings
- The impact the injury has on your daily lifestyle
- Damage to your quality of life and emotional wellbeing
- Whether you share any blame for the fall
One thing is true about every single slip and fall case. It’s important to speak with an experienced slip and fall attorney before taking an insurance settlement offer. Our team at Petrov Law Firm is always available to discuss your case, so call for more details today.
What Types of Damages Are Available to Victims of Slips, Trips and Falls?
Premises liability laws govern slip and fall accident claims. Under California law, victims can pursue compensation for economic and non-economic damages.
The specific damages you suffer will depend on the nature of your injuries.
Depending on the losses you have suffered, you may be entitled to compensation for:
- Current medical bills
- Future medical expenses
- Lost wages while you recover
- Lost future earning potential
- Nursing care
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- PTSD and fear
- Diminished quality of life
- Loss of consortium
Some losses are easier to calculate than others. Our lawyers will review your records and receipts to help you document your financial losses. In complex cases, we’ll bring in specialists in various fields to help prove your anticipated future costs and your non-financial losses, such as pain and suffering.
Can I Recover Compensation If I’m Being Blamed for Slip and Fall Accident Injuries in California?
More than one party can be held liable for the same accident under California law. Because California follows a pure comparative negligence law, accident victims don’t lose their right to damages unless they were completely responsible for the accident.
However, your compensation can be reduced if you share any fault. That gives insurance companies an incentive to blame the victim for their own injuries.
For example, the insurance company might claim that:
- You were clumsy and should have been paying attention
- The risk of suffering a fall was obvious and you could have avoided it
- You failed to take reasonable steps to mitigate damages
If they succeed, you could walk away with less than you deserve. Our lawyers are here to protect you from unfair blame-shifting tactics. We can get started today, so call for your free case evaluation.
Our Slip and Fall Accident Attorneys in Will Fight to Recover Compensation for All of Your Injuries
Some of the most common types of slip and fall injuries include:
- Broken bones
- Concussions and head injuries
- Broken hips
- Knee injuries
- Ankle and wrist injuries
- Herniated discs and other back injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Neck injuries
- Soft tissue damage
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Paralysis and other catastrophic injuries
Most slip and fall victims survive their injuries. Sadly, some fall injuries are fatal. Elderly adults are the most likely to sustain fatal injuries in a slip and fall. If you lost a loved one, our slip and fall attorneys in Carlsbad can help you file a wrongful death lawsuit to recover compensation for your losses.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents in Carlsbad, California?
Negligent property maintenance is a leading cause of slip and fall accidents in Carlsbad. While people typically don’t have to worry about snow and ice, the risk of falling due to dangerous property conditions is very real.
Some of the most common causes of slip and fall accidents include:
- Slick floors, often caused by waxing, mopping, puddles, or spills
- Failure to warn customers about slippery floods
- Inadequate lighting
- Failure to provide proper guardrails and handrails
- Crumbling pavement and potholes
- Unsecured rugs or carpets
- Obstacles in walkways, including debris and garbage
- Loose electrical cords and wires
- Damaged stairs
- Missing or damaged stair treads
Our lawyers will investigate to determine why you slipped and fell. Call our Carlsbad slip and fall accident attorneys for more information today.
How Do I Prove Liability If I Was Injured in a Slip and Fall Accident in California?
Most slip and falls happen due to negligence.
- The property owner owed you a legal duty of care
- They breached the duty of care
- The breach caused your accident
- You suffered damages
All property owners have a legal duty to maintain their premises in reasonably safe condition. As long as you were on the property with the owner’s permission, that owner owed you a legal duty of care. The owner’s precise responsibilities depend on the type of property.
When you visit a business establishment, you’re classified as an invitee.
Businesses have a duty to:
- Fix any dangerous property conditions
- Provide adequate warning of hazards that can’t be fixed immediately
- Regularly inspect the property to identify unsafe conditions that develop over time
There are many types of evidence that can prove the owner breached this duty of care.
Our lawyers will work to locate:
- Policies and procedures for inspecting the property at regular intervals
- Employee statements
- Video surveillance footage
- Eyewitness statements
- Accident reports
- Records of previous complaints about unsafe premises
If you can, take photos of the accident scene immediately after the fall. These photos can be used to prove that dangerous conditions on the premises caused your fall.
How Long Do I Have to File a Slip and Fall Accident Lawsuit in California?
The statute of limitations in California is two years. Most of the time, accident victims must file a lawsuit within two years of the accident. Accident victims who wait longer will find that the courts will refuse to hear their case. That means you lose your right to compensation if you don’t take legal action within two years.
Contact a Carlsbad Slip and Fall Accident Lawyer for a Free Consultation
You have legal rights if you were injured due to a fall on someone else’s property. Contact Petrov Law Firm to speak with an experienced Carlsbad slip and fall accident lawyer who can fight to recover the maximum compensation possible.