After a serious car crash, you may be entitled to significant compensation for your injuries and property damage. However, you will need an official report of the accident to back up your claim. 

In California, this report is known as the California Highway Patrol (CHP) 555 Traffic Collision Report. While the report cannot be used as evidence in a court of law, it can be just as important to your claim for compensation as an official medical record of your injuries. 

CHP Report Basics

A CHP 555 Traffic Collision Report is a detailed, official record of traffic and non-traffic collisions. It is an essential piece of documentation for criminal, civil, and administrative actions, such as:

  • Criminal prosecutions
  • Insurance claims
  • Lawsuits

The Department of Motor Vehicles may also use CHP collision reports to levy administrative penalties against a driver.

What Goes in a CHP Report?

CHP reports must contain information that allows individuals, insurance companies, and government agencies to make important decisions about the incident. As such, these reports will contain various valuable facts, such as the location, date, and time of the accident, as well as the name of the responding officer. 

The report will also detail each of the parties involved in the car accident, such as the names of all of the drivers and passengers. It will also have information on witnesses who were present at the scene. 

Also noted in the report will be whether the incident involved a hit-and-run driver. Driver’s license information for all drivers involved, along with their contact details, will appear in the report, too. 

Additionally, the investigating law enforcement officer will also report on the injuries and property damage caused by the accident, such as injuries to the drivers, passengers, pedestrians, or bicyclists, as well as damage to vehicles and property. 

How Do I Get a Copy of the CHP Report of My Accident?

CHP collision reports are available to parties of interest in a crash, such as:

  • Drivers
  • Passengers
  • Owners of involved vehicles
  • Property owners
  • Parents of dependent parties of interest

To obtain a copy of one, you must make a request to the CHP by mail or in person at a CHP Area office. If you would like to appear in person at a CHP office that is not in the area where the CHP report was taken, you can do so by filling out a CHP 190 — a collision request form — and taking it to a CHP Area office of your choice.

You will need the following information to properly fill out the request form:

  • The date of the incident
  • The location of the incident
  • Vehicle drivers/owners
  • The type of interested party you are (such as a driver or passenger)
  • Your name
  • Your address
  • Signature
  • Fees 

The CHP also asks that you submit a photocopy of your state driver’s license or identification card to demonstrate that you are indeed an interested party. If you do not provide a photocopy of your identification, you can alternatively have your signature on the CHP 190 notarized.

Fees for an official CHP 190 report vary depending on the length of the report. For reports that are 25 pages or less, the cost is currently $10.00. For reports containing 26-50 pages, the fee is $20.00. 51-75 pages will cost you $30.00, and 76-100 pages will cost $40.00.

Obtaining a CHP 555 Traffic Collision Report is but one of many steps in getting compensated for the losses you suffer in a car accident. With an experienced car crash attorney representing you, you won’t have to worry about jumping through seemingly endless legal hoops to get justice. 

They will handle everything for you, from obtaining the CHP 555 Traffic Report to filing and negotiating your claim on your behalf. 

Contact the North County Car Accident Lawyers at Petrov Personal Injury Lawyers for Help Today

For more information, please contact the Vista car accident law firm of Petrov Personal Injury Lawyers to schedule a free consultation today.

We serve in North County, CA and its surrounding areas:

Petrov Personal Injury Lawyers – Vista, CA Office
380 S Melrose Dr. Ste. 201
Vista, CA 92081

(619) 344-0360

Petrov Petrov Personal Injury Lawyers – Oceanside, CA Office
702 Civic Center Drive Ste. 105
Oceanside, CA, 92054

(619) 678-1016