Fault in California car accidents is how the courts determine which driver’s insurance covers medical bills and other expenses. Here are some of the mistakes drivers make that can lead to serious car accidents that are completely their fault.
- Driving under the influence – Whether it is alcohol, drugs, or even some forms of prescription medication, it is always illegal to be under the influence while driving. This is particularly important to remember for drivers who were happy to see marijuana legalized in the state. Remember: it is still illegal to use marijuana while driving, to have marijuana open and accessible in the vehicle, or to be under the influence of this drug while driving.
- Speeding – This the leading cause of car accidents, including fatal accidents. Always obey the posted speed limit, especially in road construction areas.
- Distracted driving – While smartphones are the number one distraction in our technological era, there are many other ways to be distracted while driving. Everything from lighting up a cigarette to putting the finishing touches on makeup can be what takes a driver’s eyes off the road long enough for an accident to occur.
Car Accident Injury Attorneys in Southern California
If you have been injured in a car accident, the personal injury attorneys at Petrov Law Firm can help. Insurance companies always want to settle for the lowest amount possible to protect their profits, so you want an experienced lawyer in your corner to help maximize your settlement. Before you agree to anything, call 619-344-0360 to learn how we can help.Read More
No one wants to be in a car accident, and that is why Petrov Law Firm offers safe driving advice. Here are a few tips for driving when road conditions are the most dangerous.
- Rain – Sometimes we forget that rain can make the roadways very slick. Be sure to leave extra space between you and other drivers, especially at highway speeds, and slow down more than usual when taking corners so you don’t hydroplane.
- Dark – Driving at night can make it difficult to see road hazards as well as pedestrians who may not be properly dressed for a nighttime walk. Keep your headlights in good shape and be sure to switch from hi-beams to low-beams for oncoming drivers.
- Construction – Speeding in a construction area could lead to having the blood of a construction worker on your hands. Always follow posted instructions when driving in a construction area. Even if no accident occurs, remember that penalties for breaking the speed limit are much greater in construction areas.
- Potholes – A pothole can destroy your tire. If you can avoid a pothole safely, do so. If not, it is best to strike the hole straight on and as slow as possible. The side walls of your tires are weaker, so a last-minute turn of the wheel could result in a blowout. If a warning light comes on after going through a pothole or if you feel a wobble, pull over immediately to check your tires.
California Car Accident Injury Lawyers
If you do find yourself needing a California car accident injury attorney, contact the Petrov Law Firm at 619-344-0360. We can help you to maximize your settlement and get the compensation that you deserve.Read More
Driving distracted is responsible for thousands of deaths each year. The state of California has laws in place to discourage this practice when it comes to the use of cell phones by a driver. Here are the ones you should know about.
- Since 2008, hand-held devices cannot be used while driving. If you are over 18, you can use a hands-free device.
- There is no texting and driving whatsoever in California. This law was passed in 2009 and includes the writing, sending, and reading of text messages.
- As noted above, the law prohibits those under the age of 18 from even using a hands-free device while driving.
While these laws should instill the importance of avoiding distracted driving, many drivers still seem to insist that those laws are in place for someone else and that they can drive distracted without consequences. If you ever find yourself in a vehicle with someone who allows themselves to be distracted by a mobile device, don’t be afraid to speak up – you may just save a life.
Car Accident Injury Attorneys in San Diego
If you are injured in an auto accident in the San Diego, California area, Petrov Law Firm can help. Speak to one of our experienced and compassionate personal injury attorneys today by calling 619-344-0360 to schedule an appointment. We can help you to recoup your losses, especially if the driver who caused the accident was distracted by a cell phone.Read More
The NHTSA has released the numbers for 2016 traffic accidents and fatalities. What is the verdict for the state of California? It is officially the most dangerous state to drive in. How bad is it? What are the leading causes of traffic fatalities in California? What is your recourse if you have lost a loved on to such a terrible tragedy?
There are 50 states in the US, which makes California 2% of the nation. However, more than 10% of the fatal accidents in the country take place here. Now it is true that California makes up about 12% of the US population, so that skews the numbers a little. But driving is still one of the most dangerous things you can do in California. Why?
The two biggest dangers for drivers are speeding and distractions. One or both of these elements play into almost every fatal traffic accident in the state. Despite laws banning texting and driving, many still insist they know better. Others have been involved in fatal accidents while using social media and taking photos or videos while behind the wheel.
Compassionate Assistance for Those Who Have Lost a Loved One
If you have lost a family member in such a tragic way, our hearts go out to you. Please call 619-344-0360 to let the compassionate attorneys at Petrov Law Firm help you with your wrongful death suit. Our experienced team can help you to maximize a settlement. We know it won’t bring your loved one back, but we still want to help you to get what you need during your time of loss.Read More